Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cannabis Granny Part 2

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone know of a politician or poltical party that openly supports the legalisation of cannabis or other drugs? Why are they all so shit scared to speak out about it? At a guess, I'd say at the very least, 30% of people agree that it should be legalised, so where's their support in parliament?

I dont think any political party supports the legalisation of cannabis. I wish one of them would, and I would be likely to vote for them. I think there is a strong appetite amongst the public for the legalisation of cannabis (maybe even all drugs) as the current system of criminialistion of drugs just isnt working. But no political party has the balls to stand up and say something which may sit uncomftably with some sections of society.

:thumb:
    budda wrote: »
    The only one is the Greens, which I think wants cannabis legal.

:yes: I stand corrected you right.
    Except of course I said nothing of the sort, feel free to quote me on this and point out where I openly endorsed killers.

You said,in reference to cigarettes:
    And of course they should be taxed, and taxed highly.
    What I was pointing out was that very high taxes on tobacco have a knock on effect on smuggling, which in turn gifts a multi-million pound trade to criminals. The taxes need to be a balance between detering use and not encoraging too much smuggling, I was arguing that we are getting that balance wrong.

You are arguing that the balance should be between the most violent armed group on this island and ,to quote you again, "very nasty people".

Sophie`s choice ?
    The only one is the Greens, which I think wants cannabis legal. The Lib Dems say we should 'look into the law' but never really say what they mean.
    Lib Lems are probably the best bet, I would guess, in terms of someone who might have power in the forseeable future (i.e. my lifetime). I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to actually get the debate happening if people were organised. I mean they already have a working system in Holland, so it's not hard to back up any argument with examples. I was looking on that PM Petitions website, and there's about 10 petitions on there all with slightly differently worded versions of "legalise cannibis". It's become a bit of a joke issue, and something for the front of a t-shirt rather than a serious debate. I mean has this ever been debated on Question Time, for example, or on other political and news programmes? The only debate I can remember is when it was reduced to Class C, and the category of illegal drug you put it into isn't really the issue. I've never seen a politician on TV really pushed on why the law exists. The closest we ever got was David Cameron on Jonathon Ross, and as everyone could see, he didn't have a single credible argument as to why he supports the law.
    seeker wrote: »
    You are arguing that the balance should be between the most violent armed group on this island and ,to quote you again, "very nasty people".

Sophie`s choice ?

This is one of those government posts you are so fond of isnt it. If I understand your meaning you are suggesting that the UK government is nastier than right-wing paramilitaries in Colombia? I fully accept that the current government is fairly nasty but they havent got quite to that level.

You'll have to forgive me for not taking that view point all that seriously.
    I mean they already have a working system in Holland, so it's not hard to back up any argument with examples.

No, their system is still crap, its just less crap than ours. There is still no quality control in terms of cannabis, and the trade is still largely in the hands of nasty criminals.

What they are doing very differently is handling heroin use properly.
    The closest we ever got was David Cameron on Jonathon Ross, and as everyone could see, he didn't have a single credible argument as to why he supports the law.

I saw that :yes: .

David Cameron was a idiot to not take on board to points Jonathon Ross was making. I think its the first time I have seen JR be serious. He really did seem to speak for the audience who agreed legislation isnt working. Like JR said he can go outside and buy whatever illegal drugs he wanted on any street corner.

:thumb:
    Calvin wrote: »
    Like JR said he can go outside and buy whatever illegal drugs he wanted on any street corner.

I'm sure David Cameron knows that. ;)
    I'm sure David Cameron knows that. ;)

Oh yeah he likes an odd spilff doesn't he ?
    No problems at all except of course pushing hundreds of tons of opium on China and causing probably the Worlds first wide scale drug problem.

So because its the governments fault its illegal you're happy about cocaine funding going to FARC and right wing paramilitaries?
    No I'm not happy about it. That's why the governments should see sense at once.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    No I'm not happy about it. That's why the governments should see sense at once.

OK, so we agree then, purchasing illegal drugs isnt ethical.
    I would say that keeping drugs illegal isn't ethical.

We all agree that illegal drug trade has very bad consequences for a lot of people. What can be done about it? One of two things:

A) the government legalises drugs

B) the people stop using drugs

Only one of those positions is per nature wrong and unethical: namely A.
    Therefore the only acceptable solution, ethically or otherwise, is for the government to change its ways. Not the people.
    I would say that keeping drugs illegal isn't ethical.

We all agree that illegal drug trade has very bad consequences for a lot of people. What can be done about it? One of two things:

A) the government legalises drugs

B) the people stop using drugs

Only one of those positions is per nature wrong and unethical: namely A.
    Therefore the only acceptable solution, ethically or otherwise, is for the government to change its ways. Not the people.

I agree, but just because the governments position is unethical doesnt make up for people funding mass murder. I think if more people really knew where their cocaine money was going they would use it less, or maybe they wouldnt but they should still know.
    This is one of those government posts you are so fond of isnt it. If I understand your meaning you are suggesting that the UK government is nastier than right-wing paramilitaries in Colombia? I fully accept that the current government is fairly nasty but they havent got quite to that level.

You'll have to forgive me for not taking that view point all that seriously.

No forgiveness is necessary.

Your view seems somewhat obscured.

If you had a fuller picture available you may form the opinion that ALL those gangs are "nasty". By labelling one of them government doesn`t make it less so.

There is also a tendancy for the biggest ones to work together and at least you recognise the biggest. (You just don`t consider them "nasty"; big is best in Buddaland ? )

To take your example of cocaine, cocaine producers and distributors require enforcer watchdogs such as the Drug Enforcement Administration (BIG gang)to keep out new lower- cost entrants to the market. General Manuel Noriega( the head of Panama`s biggest gang) received an award from the DEA for his cooperation in the "Drug War". Noriega served the Medellin cartel( big gang) and kept out Cali competitors by turning them in to the DEA. The DEA was happy, Noriega was happy, and the Medellin cartel was happy.

In Costa Rica the CIA(BIG gang) provides air transport to the biggest local gang who run a lucrative trade in illicit substances. In other locations other agencies are similarly involved. The NSA, through the NPO (National Programs Office), provided secure storage for cocaine in its network of secure warehouses across the US. In another country, the DIA operates a drug manufacturing facility. Similar statements can be made about the British, French, and Israeli intelligence services. The "War on Some Drugs" provides black market funding for the covert agencies, and justifies the need for them to provide intelligence to fight the "War on Some Drugs".
    There are several issues I have with that, solvents should definitely be above cannabis - solvents can kill you easily, cannabis cant. Plus ketamine and amphetamines should be swapped round. But it does show that once you include alcohol and tobacco into the equasion then things dont look all that dangerous in comparison.
    I like the Matt cartoon in today's Telegraph:

matt.gif
    I like the Matt cartoon in today's Telegraph:

matt.gif

Matt is consistantly very good. I have no idea how he does it day after day.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hopefully the twat that tipped off the police someday gets what they deserve.

One can but hope. If Karma exists, that person is in for one hell of a ride.

Once again the law proves it is not on the side of people. I can see people getting fed up with the state of this counry soon. This story just highlights the problem - I bet if an high level MP was found to be doing the same, he wouldn't end up like this.