Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It is right?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My partner can't stand insects (flies, bees etc) and everytime one enters the house she wouldn't rest untill I kill it.

Is is right to kill an insect that is not bothering or doing harm?

Is it right to kill anything at all?

If it's ok to kill an insect because my mrs can't stand them, then is it ok for Bush/Blair/Mugabe et al to kill other people on the same principle?

Or do you think insects do not matter?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I think that you are clutching by your fingertips to that cliff we call reality.
  • Options
    If I swot a fly I tend not to feel guilt....
  • Options
    I think that you are clutching by your fingertips to that cliff we call reality.

judging from previous posts I think the OP may have let go a while back...
  • Options
    no i dont think it is right to randomly kill creatures that arent doing you any harm, but its not really the same thing as killing other humans is it
  • Options

Hehe :yes:
  • Options
    Originally Posted by Man Of Kent View Post

:D ..what can i say, I ask crazy questions
  • Options
    SuzyCreamcheese wrote:
    no i dont think it is right to randomly kill creatures that arent doing you any harm, but its not really the same thing as killing other humans is it

Who decides, where does it start and end?

For example I can't stand cats...is it ok to kill one?

Is a cat more valuable than a bee?
  • Options
    society
  • Options
    It's a bug, kill it, they live short lives anyway.
  • Options
    seyi wrote: »
    SuzyCreamcheese wrote:

Who decides, where does it start and end?

For example I can't stand cats...is it ok to kill one?

Is a cat more valuable than a bee?

It goes: humans, pets, mammals, birds, lizards, fish, insect, sponge.
  • Options

where does Sea anemoni fit in there?:impissed:
  • Options
    where does Sea anemoni fit in there?:impissed:

Funky sponge :)
  • Options

says who?
  • Options
    My partner can't stand insects (flies, bees etc) and everytime one enters the house she wouldn't rest untill I kill it.

If it's ok to kill an insect because my mrs can't stand them, then is it ok for Bush/Blair/Mugabe et al to kill other people on the same principle?

What do you think?
    No I don't think it's righ and I get really angry if I see people killing and hurting anything living.
  • Options
    If there is a spider crawling up my wall and I am trying to go to sleep I cannot sleep until it is dead. I have to get someone else to kill it. I do NOT feel the slightest bit of guilt, just relief hehe

Yet I feel guilty eating a chicken that has been killed so I can eat it. Where is the boundary? mm I dunno. Where is the boundary according to me? all insects can die and I don't feel bad. saying that if I killed a ladybird I would feel bad. Urm I think mabye it is when I kill something which scares me (spider, cockroach, moths etc) then I do not feel bad. Kill someone sweet and innocent and I feel like shit.

And yes, how random and wierd question!
  • Options
    I hate really gross insects, espescially if they can fly, and I kill them. Any insects that aren't big and don't gross me out can live. lol
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Good question, I've wondered the same myself.
    I don't really have an answer I suppose, but I think that when someone sees an insect/spider their first priority should be to help it leave the house (open a window and push it outside, for example). Only if this can't be done and said being is very bothersome should they kill it.
    Exception to this are cockroaches. Just because I hate them and when there's one there are many more, so it's no use getting them out. Just poison them.
  • Options
    Exception to this are cockroaches. Just because I hate them and when there's one there are many more, so it's no use getting them out. Just poison them.

Oh the irony.... :D
  • Options
    Who decides,

You do.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Oh the irony.... :D
    :p
  • Options
    I've never killed an insect intentionally, haven't got it in me to squash something or vacuum it up or anything like that. I won't do it in the future either, unless it was a "me or it" situation which is highly unlikely. I just put them outside or leave them to it - depending on what it is and whether I'll be able to capture it.

I'm about as soft as it gets :razz:
  • Options
    Depends on my mood, I try my best not to kill insects. In fact, I have a closer affinity to them than say cats or dogs. Although if a fly is really bothering me flying round the house then, yep no bother in killing it.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    society

Is it ok to kill "society" ?

And who decides that ? :chin:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Funky sponge :)

Funky sponge eh? I like it, got a cool ring to it.
  • Options
    It's a good point actually. What do you think of kids who kill small creatures for fun (for example, squishing frogs). When I was little, I killed a whole ants nest because one ant annoyed me. What about when the killing is not for pleasure but more 'for the kill'. For example, foxhunting, where the fox is killed. Then what about the Japanese, that catch dolphins, then slit their throats and let them writhe / convulse to death. They're eaten, afterall.

Then with wars. Shooting someone who has a gun pointed at you and is about to pull the trigger is justifiable. Firing ballistic missiles at people who may be near to weapons (and then accepting innocent losses of life) is another 'level' surely. And then WW2 tactics. Deliberate targetting of civilian populations to create war weariness and desperation.

I think 'murder' is too emotive a term. People die, living creatures die, but we have to take into account the circumstances where it happened. I think respect is one of the most important things, so playfully killing a small animal for entertainment is wrong, whereas dropping a bomb on innocent people as a calculated move to serve a greater purpose is 'justifiable'. (Although personally I would be against it, as I am against the Hiroshima bombings and the blitz on London / Germany in WW2, unless there was compelling evidence it was justified, i.e. Hiroshima stopped the Japanese taking over the world and killing everyone..?)
  • Options

That's really rude and ignorant. :yeees:
  • Options
    I don't think so, I think it's a disgusting thing to do.
    Not unless you absolutely have to.
    Nope.
    I think that all animals matter, although some people wouldn't agree with me.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    That's really rude and ignorant. :yeees:

No it's not. It's more a comment on the folly of the question.

You cannot equate insects or animals with humans in such a simplistic way. We aren't equal, nature has seen to that.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I am against the Hiroshima bombings and the blitz on London / Germany in WW2,

Dude, not much point you being against something like that, wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's a good point actually. What do you think of kids who kill small creatures for fun (for example, squishing frogs). When I was little, I killed a whole ants nest because one ant annoyed me. What about when the killing is not for pleasure but more 'for the kill'. For example, foxhunting, where the fox is killed. Then what about the Japanese, that catch dolphins, then slit their throats and let them writhe / convulse to death. They're eaten, afterall.

I used to hunt for ant's nests so that I could kill them, all of them, die ants die, for no other reason than my own amusement. I kill spiders when they bug me, but I'm not scared of them so can just leave them there, other times I squish em for fun. Fly swatting is a skill! Some might think me mean, perhaps I am? lol