Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work Experience (IT)

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I'm really unsure what I want to do next year. The careers adviser in school in school suggested something like IT.

Does anyone know of anywhere where I can get some sort of experience in working in IT?

At GCSE, I did do IT and found it to be rather boring, however that was because some of it was far too easy adn some of it was far too hard.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So how on earth did they come up with IT?!

You need to have a think about what you enjoy doing and go from there..
  • Options
    Well I said something about getting a C at GNVQ...

I thought it was a bit random as well.
  • Options
    You should think about what you are naturally good at and what you really enjoy. Most large organisations have an IT department and you might have to deal with support requests etc. You should really think about whether you want to be office based, out in the community, working alone or in a team, working with the general public or not. Thinking about these sort of things might give you a clearer idea of what you want to do.
  • Options
    Does anyone know of anywhere online where I can find a list of IT jobs in my local area please?
  • Options
  • Options
    That website is useless. I put in for jobs in Plymouth and it came up with jobs in Sunderland and London...
  • Options
    tbh, follow your heart and do something you really enjoy or something you've always wanted to work as.
    You dont have to follow the plain old boring path that everyone gets sent down. sounds cheesy but live the dream while you're still young enough to make choices about it
  • Options
    Thanks Icey. I have no idea why the careers adviser suggested IT anyway - I have something wrong with my eyes so that I can only look at a computer screen for so long before everything goes slightly blurry.
  • Options
    To be honest I don't think you should be looking for jobs in IT, from what you have said it really isn't something that you will be following up as a career so doing it as work experience might not be very beneficial to you. Why don't you contact your local council, university or any large businesses in your local area and try some sort of office based job where you will need to draw on IT skills but at the same time learn a far broader skill set.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I remebr my work experience at schol was a waste of time. I aplleied for some computer company and they try to get my hoovering and washing up and making tea and shit. I told the cunts to fuck off, and I walked out on my second day and spent the next couple of weeks dossing at ho9me and getting wrecked.
    Sounds lieka result but I was pissed off, Iwanted to do something interesting. never told the school though and neither do the company.

MAke sure you choose something good. Fuck sitting in the office though, get something where your out and about.
    Weekender Offender