Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting candle wax out of carpets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you do it? I have quite a bit on my bedroom carpet and don't want to lose my deposit.

Comments

• Options
    2 ways

Cover the wax with blotting paper and run a cool iron over it. The wax melts and the paper absorbs it. (done this)

Also heard, freeze it with ice cubes in a plastic bag or a spray of something like gas lighter fluid/air freshener and it should break off in hard lumps (not tried this)
  • Options
    I second the iron recommendation, I use brown paper.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    I second the iron recommendation, I use brown paper.

Thirded. Brings back memories of being presented with a roll of brown paper and an iron by my mum when she'd been in my bedroom, aged about 15!

Put the rough (plain) side of the brown paper onto the carpet and iron over it on the printed side. Keep moving the paper and stop when there are no grease marks coming out anymore.
  • Options
    pick most of it out first before ironing it though.
  • Options
    if it's a wool shag carpet DON'T pick any out...if it looks like it will pull much out...don't!!!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Cover the wax with blotting paper and run a cool iron over it. The wax melts and the paper absorbs it. (done this)

This is worth a try.

Else try White Spirit - undoubtably the best solvent and cleaner you can use on carpet.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The iron method works wonders, I prefer using kitchen roll though, it's more absorbent.