Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to suppress your appetite?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Today I ate a sandwich (for lunch), a garlic kiev and oven chips for tea (yes, I realise how unhealthy this is but I didn't get home from Uni until half seven, I couldn't be arsed cooking) and a piece of my flat mate's cake that she made! Thats hardly not eating enough :p I must make healthy food tomorrow though :yes:

Actually, I would still say that's not eating enough. You may *just* about scrape your 2000 calories there, but a sandwich does not constitute a meal, and your other (note, only one other!) meal was pretty much saturated fat city, with a load of sugar and salt thrown in for good measure! Those are no way the calories your body needs.

Yep - you definitely need to sort something healthier out :)

Here's a suggestion (which I use a heck of a lot as I don't have a lot of cooking time). Instead of eating that shit (kiev and chips), try shoving a piece of meat (steak, pork, chicken etc) under the grill, a couple of backed potatoes in the microwave and buy some mixed salad and throw that on a plate. Bit of butter and cheese on your jackets and you're away!

There, a full, well balanced meal, in a little over 10 minutes :)

Cooking doesn't have to take half the night.
  • Options
    I just feel as though I snack a little too much because alot of my friends, don't! I just notice that I eat a little more than most of my friends. Thats all.

If your friends live by the '3 square meals' thing and don't snack, then anyone would feel like they're eating 'too much'. Humans are better suited as grazers, not taking on 3 big meals.
    I don't want to lose weight, I just don't want to put any weight on. Theres nothing wrong with that surely?

Of course not, but if you continue with your habits, you're naturally going to increase your body fat levels as you're not eating breakfast, you're not eating enough, and you're not eating enough of the right things. As g_angel said earlier, there are plenty of slim women out there who look wobbily, I used to be one.
    Thanks for those that have suggested some things though! I think I shall try and bring breakfast into my diet but urrrgghh, I can never face it. I do try and eat healthy stuff but sometimes, its just easier to grab stuff. Today has been a bad day as I've been in uni 9am-7.30pm.

Totally understandable, I tend to have long uni days (now = reading week). There are plenty of things you can do to go around it. I sometimes have my breakfast on the bus, and my mid-morning snack after my first lecture. I make my own lunch, so microwave it in the common room and have it at lunchtime, or eat it cold. Then my afternoon snack during my afternoon lectures. If you get into the habit of making your own things, you develop a better relationship with food, you know what's going into it, and it's much cheaper in the long run.
    Today I ate a sandwich (for lunch), a garlic kiev and oven chips for tea (yes, I realise how unhealthy this is but I didn't get home from Uni until half seven, I couldn't be arsed cooking) and a piece of my flat mate's cake that she made! Thats hardly not eating enough :p

But it isn't though. Do you honestly think that warrants a thread for appetite suppression? :eek:

Anyway, people have given you enough good advice to give you info/inspiration. Tis up to you what you do with it. I'm always available via PM if you want any info or tips. :)
  • Options
    a smoothie is a good idea for people who dont otherwise do breakfast. Either make your own or buy them.
    I quite often pour a glass of smoothie for my bf in the morning cos otherwise he wouldnt eat till 4pm or something.

Tbh though, I dont agree with everyone else that you need to drastically up your food intake. I just think you could probably eat better, more sustaining foods that didnt make you feel guilty and fat for eating them.
    Its more about making every calorie worth it, than cutting down what you eat.
  • Options
    Thing is though, I think calorie counting can be a little moot and even counter productive (does anyone even know what a calorie is without looking it up? I don't). It's always a good idea to bear in mind recommended carlorific amounts, but it can become compulsive and if a person is already eating the wrong foods, counting calories at the same time can do more harm than good - Sikorah listed the calorific values for some of her meals, but by their own admission, it's not a good diet. A friend of mine once told me (at lunchtime) that she couldn't eat anymore for the day as she had already had her calorific intake for the day in a form of a single pudding. :eek2:

Sorry SCC, I know that wasn't your point, but I do agree that healthy eating should be about knowing what you should eat and eating it, rather than just cutting out what you shouldn't.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Thing is though, I think calorie counting can be a little moot and even counter productive (does anyone even know what a calorie is without looking it up? I don't). It's always a good idea to bear in mind recommended carlorific amounts, but it can become compulsive and if a person is already eating the wrong foods, counting calories at the same time can do more harm than good - Sikorah listed the calorific values for some of her meals, but by their own admission, it's not a good diet. A friend of mine once told me (at lunchtime) that she couldn't eat anymore for the day as she had already had her calorific intake for the day in a form of a single pudding. :eek2:

Sorry SCC, I know that wasn't your point, but I do agree that healthy eating should be about knowing what you should eat and eating it, rather than just cutting out what you shouldn't.

If I recall, a calorie is the amount of energy it takes to boil 1 litre of water... Or something similar.

But yes, you're right, it's something that is not widely known. I'm actually gonna check that's right now...
    A friend of mine once told me (at lunchtime) that she couldn't eat anymore for the day as she had already had her calorific intake for the day in a form of a single pudding.

WTF?! Did you give her a good slapping?!

Just checked - I was not too far off, in principle, but still completely wrong:

The large calorie or kilogram calorie approximates the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kg of water by 1 °C. This is about 4.184 kJ, and exactly 1000 small calories.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    are you gaining weight with the way your diet is now?

if so then the best advice would prolly be to cut down on the drinkies *polishes off another glass of wine :angel:*

if not, then I'd say you're fine as you are

unfortunately it doesn't work like that for everyone hehe. i'm a naturally slim, small built person. i used to be able to eat what i wanted and didn't do a great deal of exercise. now i'm a bit older (i'm only 21..and a half!) it started to creep up on me - so i eat less, and i eat healthier as well as going to the gym.

and SWQ - you say you cooked chicken kiev and chips because you couldn't be bothered to cook. but surely you cooked these?! you could've made a healthier alternative in the same time/half the time. i'm not saying i don't eat stuff like that, because i do. but your excuse is a bit lame. :p
  • Options
    Haha. I just shoved it in the oven. May I add, I don't usually eat that bad. I usually have pasta/rice dishes for tea. :p And like before yesterday, I made a stuffed pepper with homemade wedges. I rarely eat processed crap and more importantly, food that fatty :p. I like homemade food :yes:

Thanks for all of your tips though. Go away - obviously I don't eat as much as I think I do going by what people have wrote in here! I just wanna cut down my hunger periods thats all.

SCC - Smoothies sound good! I just don't have a smoothie machine! I think I might buy one when I move house though when I have the cash!

I think I might and swap my snacks for healthy alternatives and try to bring breakfast into my diet. Thanks for everyone's advice :)
  • Options
    you should definately have breakfast, even if you don't feel hungry. don't forget you won't have eaten anything during the time you've been asleep and they don't call it break-fast for nothing. :) even some toast and a piece of fruit would be a good idea.

i've eaten quite a bit already today. porridge and a banana for breakfast followed by some quavers, a granola bar, some raisins and an apple. that'll see me through till tea time. :)
  • Options
    that'll see me through till tea time. :)

Really??
  • Options
    When I was at uni I used to always carry fruit around in my bag and a cereal bar or snackajacks. That way if you get hungry you don't just go to the shop and get a chocolate bar because you have a healthier alternative in your bag. I used to love stir frys for my dinner too because theyre so quick and easy and you can add a load of veg to it.

So far today I've had:
    Porridge and honey
    Apple
    Cheese and coleslaw sandwich (wholemeal)

I will also be having another sandwich :p and a yoghurt and possibly a banana and that will see me through to my dinner. I've started eating 2 sandwiches recently because I get really hungry through the day! Its been better for me though because hunger is a horrible feeling and if anything I look slimmer this week :chin:
  • Options
    Veggie Crisps Recipe as requested

I got the recipe online and use it for beetroot, parsnips, sweet potato and carrots. It is important to slice them thinly. I prefer to cook them in the oven rather than frying but if you are frying them do not overcorwd then pan as it will reduce the heat in the pan and they will end up greasy. I sprinkly mine with sea salt and cracked black pepper but you could use other stuff too.

Baked Parsnip Crisps
    6 servings.

1/2 lb parsnips, peeled

2 to 3 tablespoons mild olive oil

Coarse sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees / gas mark 4
    Line 1 or 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil. Line a plate with paper towels.

Use a vegetable peeler to shave wisps of parsnips into a bowl. Drizzle with oil. Using your hands, toss gently to coat each wisp. Scatter the parsnips on the baking sheets; spread into a single layer. Roast, stirring and checking every few minutes, until evenly and lightly browned and crisp, 8 to 12 minutes.

Transfer the crisps to paper towels, season generously with salt, and serve hot or at room temperature.

PER SERVING: 42 calories; 2g fat (43 percent calories from fat); trace saturated fat; no cholesterol; trace protein; 7g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 50mg sodium.

Variation: To fry the crisps, heat about 1/2 inch oil until hot but not smoking in a pan (or use a deep fat fryer) Toss a small handful of parsnip wisps into the oil, using your thumb and forefinger to separate each wisp. Do not crowd the pan. Fry, stirring and checking as necessary, until evenly and lightly browned and crisp. Takes around a minute or so. Repeat with remaining wisps. Drain on paper towels, add salt and serve.
  • Options
    excellent thankyou!

Do you just store them in tupperware?
  • Options
    excellent thankyou!

Do you just store them in tupperware?

I normally store them in something similar to the attached. Not too sure how tupperware would work
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Really??

yeh. :) i'm not very well though so that could explain why it might not seem a lot to you. only thing is i'll be going to the gym when i get home from uni and i'll want something to eat but i know if i eat before i go to the gym, i'll end up not going to the gym! might have a yoghurt or something.
  • Options
    yeh. :) i'm not very well though so that could explain why it might not seem a lot to you. only thing is i'll be going to the gym when i get home from uni and i'll want something to eat but i know if i eat before i go to the gym, i'll end up not going to the gym! might have a yoghurt or something.

Whoa - if you're barely eating from lunchtime right through until dinnertime and you're wanting to go to the gym, I'd at least suggest a cereal bar and a banana/apple to get some energy into your system - working out with no fuel in the tank can lead to exhaustion, which is not good. Eat approx an hour before as you'll need the carbs for an effective workout. :)

Also, what kind of "not very well" is it? If it's a cold etc etc, I'd lay off the gym until you're better. if it's something more serious, have you been given the all clear to work out?
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Whoa - if you're barely eating from lunchtime right through until dinnertime and you're wanting to go to the gym, I'd at least suggest a cereal bar and a banana/apple to get some energy into your system - working out with no fuel in the tank can lead to exhaustion, which is not good. Eat approx an hour before as you'll need the carbs for an effective workout. :)

Also, what kind of "not very well" is it? If it's a cold etc etc, I'd lay off the gym until you're better. if it's something more serious, have you been given the all clear to work out?

i had a gastroscopy last week. i've had abdominal pain/nausea since september. :grump: gastroscopy was largely clear but there's obviously something wrong with me. she thinks it may be ibs (though i knew i had that already, just not this bad and in my tummy :( ). and i think exercising can help to relieve the symptoms of this. i wouldn't go to the gym if i felt that unwell.

and the things i ate this morning would've normally been spread throught the day until late lunch time, i don't normally eat it all before 12 o'clock.
  • Options
    i had a gastroscopy last week. i've had abdominal pain/nausea since september. :grump: gastroscopy was largely clear but there's obviously something wrong with me. she thinks it may be ibs (though i knew i had that already, just not this bad and in my tummy :( ). and i think exercising can help to relieve the symptoms of this. i wouldn't go to the gym if i felt that unwell.

and the things i ate this morning would've normally been spread throught the day until late lunch time, i don't normally eat it all before 12 o'clock.

Ouch - that doesn't sound too nice :( Here's hoping they find something to help sort it out soon.

I would still recommend eating what I said an hour before you go to the gym though!
  • Options
    i'll eat something. like i said probably a yoghurt. it might seem hard to believe but i do actually have quite a healthy appetite for a small person. it's just a bit supressed sometimes!

and thank you.
  • Options
    I've been good today :yes:

I've had a cheese, lettuce, cucumber and onion sandwich! I had a banana as well.

Hoping to have something healthy for tea. I don't know what though :chin:
  • Options
    i'll eat something. like i said probably a yoghurt. it might seem hard to believe but i do actually have quite a healthy appetite for a small person. it's just a bit supressed sometimes!

and thank you.

I'm quite little too :)
  • Options
    I've been good today :yes:

I've had a cheese, lettuce, cucumber and onion sandwich! I had a banana as well.

Hoping to have something healthy for tea. I don't know what though :chin:

but did you have breakfast?
  • Options
    Err noo but I didn't have anything in.

I've bought some fruit and stuff today though so shall start and try eating breakfast tomorrow :)
  • Options
    I never used to have breakfast, I never felt like eating first thing and was too busy rushing around. But for the last few months I have been making a big effort to eat breakfast, whether it's a quick bowl of cereal, a bagel at my desk, or a slimfast milkshake. It makes you feel a lot better and sets you up for the day.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I never used to have breakfast, I never felt like eating first thing and was too busy rushing around. But for the last few months I have been making a big effort to eat breakfast, whether it's a quick bowl of cereal, a bagel at my desk, or a slimfast milkshake. It makes you feel a lot better and sets you up for the day.

I was the same - I force myself now. readybrek, some dried fruit, an Actimel. Nice and easy to get down...