Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to suppress your appetite?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Loopi wrote: »
    Please PM the recipe. Pretty please. :angel:

And to me too, if you would be so kind! :heart:
    pretty much what go away said - eat breakfast, porridge is always good for filling you up and keeping you full.
    I mean, yesterday, I had a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch (about 1pm), I found myself hungry again at 4pm so had a mini fudge bar thing (the 15p ones! haha) then I made a stuffed pepper with some potato wedges at tea time (about 6.30pm). I then had some ice cream about 9pm whilst watching telly. What is wrong with me?! :lol: I'm just hungry all the time and its not normal!

Aye calm down there fatty. 80 more years of that and you might end up putting on a pound or two.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Aye calm down there fatty. 80 more years of that and you might end up putting on a pound or two.
    very helpful!:rolleyes:
    Amira wrote: »
    very helpful!:rolleyes:

Well, it is. Most people eat more than that for breakfast alone, so unless she's got some crazy metabolism there's not exactly a whole lot to worry about.
    Loopi wrote: »
    Please PM the recipe. Pretty please. :angel:

Can I have it too please? I always wanted to know how to make them!
    Well, it is. Most people eat more than that for breakfast alone, so unless she's got some crazy metabolism there's not exactly a whole lot to worry about.
    Yeh but comments like that are part of the reasons many girls have eating disorders. But you wouldnt care about that.

Mate - you misunderstand. Not eating enough can also cause the body to gain lard...

The number of 'slim' people I know that are covered in a layer of fat as opposed to actual flesh as they don't eat enough is quite surprising. Especially if they eat rubbish when they do eat.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    And to me too, if you would be so kind! :heart:

and me. Or just post it on here :yum:
    Amira wrote: »
    Yeh but comments like that are part of the reasons many girls have eating disorders. But you wouldnt care about that.

Then girls are stupid from not seeing the blatant over exagerated sarcasm.
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Mate - you misunderstand. Not eating enough can also cause the body to gain lard...

Irrelevant to anything I said. Thanks, though.
    I'd love the recipe too please.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I'd love the recipe too please.

And me :) I've attempted making some myself with friends in the past but they went horrendously wrong.
    g_angel007 wrote: »

The number of 'slim' people I know that are covered in a layer of fat as opposed to actual flesh as they don't eat enough is quite surprising. Especially if they eat rubbish when they do eat.

:yes:

About a year ago, I may have been on the bigger end of a size 10, but I had quite a layer of fat in my abdominal area that has only just started to go. Smaller size doesn't equal lean, and I think that's where a lot of women go wrong. They're so preoccupied with what's going on with the scales, they don't realise they're not actually shifting any fat (more likely muscle + water) so they might lose a few pounds of the latter, but don't look lean with any sort of muscluar definition, because they're not building up any. My 2c ;)

Buttonmoon - could you post the crisps recipie on Food and Drink? They sound yummy. Also good to hear of your new improved food habits :D
    go_away wrote: »
    :yes:

About a year ago, I may have been on the bigger end of a size 10, but I had quite a layer of fat in my abdominal area that has only just started to go. Smaller size doesn't equal lean, and I think that's where a lot of women go wrong. They're so preoccupied with what's going on with the scales, they don't realise they're not actually shifting any fat (more likely muscle + water) so they might lose a few pounds of the latter, but don't look lean with any sort of muscluar definition, because they're not building up any. My 2c ;)

Spot on - I hate mentioning directly that this problem is 99% of the time with women (as they're the ones starving themselves, stupidly. Idiots.) but that's exactly what I was meaning. Numbers are sometimes misleading.

Has to be said, pressing against fat is not where near as nice as proper flesh... :eek2:

Can't beat a a bit of nice lean, toned flesh.... :yum:
    im eating a very bad diet and i know it.

If you starve yourself for too long amount of time, your body will store as much fat as possible coz it doent know when itll get fed again. As previously mentioned. Small meals and healthy snacks are the answer i beleive.

I have been eating unhealthily;

Breakfast-cup of tea
    Mid-morning-coffee(skinny latte 35cals)
    Lunch-Muller light or salad or half a tub of soup (65cals) and some grapes or a plum.
    Mid-afternoon-maybe another small piece of fruit or a can or diet coke
    Evening meal about 400/500cals
    Evenig snack maybe a banana/jaffa cakes/cereal.
    Sikorah wrote: »

Breakfast-cup of tea
    Lunch-Muller light or salad or half a tub of soup (65cals) and some grapes or a plum.
    That would be me, on a very very very good day.

It's surprisin how little people eat, when they think they're pigging out :lol:
    That would be me, on a very very very good day.

It's surprisin how little people eat, when they think they're pigging out :lol:

how is eating like that good?
    Sikorah wrote: »
    im eating a very bad diet and i know it.

If you starve yourself for too long amount of time, your body will store as much fat as possible coz it doent know when itll get fed again. As previously mentioned. Small meals and healthy snacks are the answer i beleive.

Breakfast-cup of tea

Whoa!

You need to get more food down you, love!! You'll be doing yourself a damage at that rate!
    probably because what your eating lacks any nutritional value and are just quick pick me ups.

are you sure you're really hungry when you eat? try having a drink instead or nibbling on something healthier.

and yes, breakfast will definately help. providing it's reasonably healthy. :)
    Gawd! You guys are making out like I'm not eating or something :p

I'm still eating my recommended 2000 calories a day! Some days I eat shit loads more though (especially when I go out drinking)

I just feel as though I snack a little too much because alot of my friends, don't! I just notice that I eat a little more than most of my friends. Thats all.

I don't want to lose weight, I just don't want to put any weight on. Theres nothing wrong with that surely?

Thanks for those that have suggested some things though! I think I shall try and bring breakfast into my diet but urrrgghh, I can never face it. I do try and eat healthy stuff but sometimes, its just easier to grab stuff. Today has been a bad day as I've been in uni 9am-7.30pm.

Today I ate a sandwich (for lunch), a garlic kiev and oven chips for tea (yes, I realise how unhealthy this is but I didn't get home from Uni until half seven, I couldn't be arsed cooking) and a piece of my flat mate's cake that she made! Thats hardly not eating enough :p I must make healthy food tomorrow though :yes:

Go away - I make my own potato wedges. They really are quite yummy actually. Haha. Thanks for all of those links though. I shall go and have a look :)

ButtonMoon - can I have that recipe :p I have a thing for crisps too!
    Not really but I'm heavier than I was a year ago. I think that is because I go out much much more than I did a year ago though. My eating habits haven't really changed.

I'm happy with my weight but I just don't want to put anymore on. People put on weight as they get older and I turned 21 a few months ago yanno ;) I highly doubt that I would lose weight if I stopped snacking but I think I'd feel alot better in myself if I didn't eat so much crap.
    Smoking.

May not be healthy but does supress appetite.
    No offence BUT smoking makes you stink. It makes you get yellow teeth & nails and costs lots of money. Its ok. I'm not that desperate to stop snacking :p
    No offence BUT smoking makes you stink. It makes you get yellow teeth & nails and costs lots of money. Its ok. I'm not that desperate to stop snacking :p

Just a suggestion. Don't get so judgemental.
    I'm not being judgemental. I'm not going to start doing something that damages my health just to avoid a few snacks. I did say "no offence" :p
    Smoking.

yeah, and smoking crack :thumb:
    Smoking.

rofl. fucking pissing my pants, it's so bad but dude it's true!
    yeah, and smoking crack :thumb:

init! ND GET SOME BASE DOWN YOUR NECK WHILE YOU'RE AT IT! (WHOPS caps lock)
    I'm not being judgemental. I'm not going to start doing something that damages my health just to avoid a few snacks. I did say "no offence" :p

In all seriousness the not eating breakfast thing ain't dong you no favours. While you sleep your metabolism SLOWS the fuck down. What you should be doing is waking up and hydrating yourself with a big ass galss of water. Then after fannying around with beauty rituals, wot, about 20mins, you should have breakfast. My healthy option would be to have one poached egg on one slice of grainy bread (with real butter coz marge tastes like shit) as well as an apple and half a hand full of berrries or similar (strawberries, or just have a mandarin, which ain't aberry but what-the-fuck-ever) and a few nuts. Then you gotta have summut before lunch time, an egg white (coz yolks taste like shit) and some more nuts and a snack of fruit of carrots or cucumber before lunch. Have a proper lunch, thena nother snack. Take your exercise then coz you wanna deplete your blood sugar levels before you have your tea. Have something that has both high and low GI level foods in it to give you the boost to finish the day. Then you should have another snack before you go to bed, but no crisps or other bollox foods. And, I know you drink, so do i, but if you are going to drink, drink something light like vodka and steer clear of the evil that is alcopops even if they are on buy one get one free. yeah! init! you only eat four times a day- that's not enough, I completely go along with the whole eat little and ofen and exercise every day. Getting started is hard but damn, girl, seriously. once you get into it it will be so satisfying.

/drunken rant about how to nto be either hungry or a fatass
    Thanks for those that have suggested some things though! I think I shall try and bring breakfast into my diet but urrrgghh, I can never face it. I do try and eat healthy stuff but sometimes, its just easier to grab stuff. Today has been a bad day as I've been in uni 9am-7.30pm.

Maybe you should try getting up 30minutes earlier than you are used to, this will give you a bit of extra time to get hungry and wake up a bit, also I find a glass of water or fruit juice is really nice first thing and then once i'm dressed etc to actually eat.

Being out of the house all day is difficult because not only are you tired when you get home, so you just want some quick and easy (probably fatty) meal for a quick burst of energy but you have already said you miss breakfast and your day time food is more likely to be made up processed stuff out of a package. You should buy nuts or something that you can carry around with you and graze on throughout the day. For lunch you should try and eat a variety of things, so one day eat jacket potato, next day sandwich, next day a wrap and most places sell mini pots of vegetables now as well.

It sounds like you are eating the correct amount of calories but from the wrong sources, which is probably why you feel like you are eating to much, I think you just need to make a few healthy swaps.