Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just recieved my new council tax bill for 2007/2008 and i've noticed that we've been moved down a bracket, from B to A.

I'm not convinced that we're supposed to be in this bracket, but i'm also not particularly into the idea of paying an extra £150 a year.

Should i ring them and ask? Or should it be ok?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just recieved my new council tax bill for 2007/2008 and i've noticed that we've been moved down a bracket, from B to A.

I'm not convinced that we're supposed to be in this bracket, but i'm also not particularly into the idea of paying an extra £150 a year.

Read that totally wrong.

I would just ignore it, it's not your problem if they have made a mistake!
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular

Definitely give them a call and check it out as this is a massive increase a year, hopefully they have made a mistake! (Presuming that the increase is in bracket A and that now you will have to pay more?)
    Pearly wrote: »
    Definitely give them a call and check it out as this is a massive increase a year, hopefully they have made a mistake! (Presuming that the increase is in bracket A and that now you will have to pay more?)

Band A will be the lowest (cheapest) band.
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Band A will be the lowest (cheapest) band.

Exactly.

This is actually a change in your favour. If they'd kept you at band B then the increase would have been greater.
    Exactly.

This is actually a change in your favour. If they'd kept you at band B then the increase would have been greater.

Yeah i think that's what she was saying to be honest?
    Unless i read it wrong but i read it as she's been moved down to A but she's not sure if she should be in that bracket, so should she ring up, but saying that if she rang up and they said oh yes you are in the wrong band and ended up paying the 150 extra that wouldn't be too cool.
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Yeah i think that's what she was saying to be honest?
    Unless i read it wrong but i read it as she's been moved down to A but she's not sure if she should be in that bracket, so should she ring up, but saying that if she rang up and they said oh yes you are in the wrong band and ended up paying the 150 extra that wouldn't be too cool.

Precisely :) With the increase this year of 5%, moving from band B to band A hasn't actually changed how much we pay - it's still about £95 a month. But last year we were in band B and this year we've been invoiced as if we're in band A. I don't know if that's right, and while i would prefer not to pay the extra money, i'd prefer MORE not to be hit with a bill for all the extra money we should have been paying at the end of this year.
    I would call them, I doubt they have made a mistake but in case they have they might charge you extra in the future in a lump sum (not sure if they can do this but better to check).
    Right. Just for reference... I've checked my address on here: http://www.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0 and it reckons that we are band A now and were historically band B, so obviously we've been revalued - which is rather nice!

It's quite fun as well. I've been looking up everywhere i've lived.
    I'm pretty sure you can reclaim your past overpayments.

You might wanna have a look here...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1160141972,18232,