Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Since quitting smoking...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed how fucked up people smoking around me makes my lungs.

If anything, quitting smoking has made my lungs worse.:(

Comments

• Options
    But give it time and they do get better. It only seems like they're worse because smoking paralyses all the cilia that line your airways.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    But give it time and they do get better. It only seems like they're worse because smoking paralyses all the cilia that line your airways.

It's been 6 weeks though...

I'm coughing up thick green goo.
  • Options
    It takes quite a while for your lungs to function normally again after giving up.

Just remember that you cant possibly be doing them more damage by not smoking!

I have all this to look forward too soon :(
  • Options
    6 weeks isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. I'd expect it to take at least three months after giving up before it starts to improve.

How long did you smoke? Your body's got that much damage to undo, it isn't going to happen overnight.

Well done for giving up!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I have all this to look forward too soon :(

When is the big day mate ? :D

I gave up smoking recentley and I noticed when im around smokers I seem to cough a lot more. I never used to cough when i smoked, only now i have quit and i get second hand smoke.

It's so tempting though when someone else is smoking, just to have a crafty one.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Monday the 26th...

So this weekend is my last. I'm really determined to stop this time and I think I can do it!

I have been smoking for the last 8 years and was on about 20 a day at one point, so it wont be easy.

I have said to my girlfriend that if I last 3-4 months of not smoking, then we should go away for a nice weekend somewhere... just as an incentive!

Sounds like your doing well with it though mate, keep at it! :thumb:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I have said to my girlfriend that if I last 3-4 months of not smoking, then we should go away for a nice weekend somewhere... just as an incentive!

Defnitly she owes you a dirty weekend if you manage 3-4 months :D

We all need our incentives :naughty:

Think of the money you would have saved in the 3/4 months you had not smoked. You sound pretty serious about giving up this time.

Good luck fella :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Good luck fella :thumb:

Cheers mate, I'm sure I will get through it!

Good luck with yours as well! :thumb:
  • Options
    Try being a none smoker and having to car share with a chain smoker for an hour in the morning and again in the evening. You leave the car stinking like you were the chain smoking fuck wit!

Getting to work and being surrounded by annoying tapping cunts eating through out the day so all you can hear is their fucking food slurping around their fat mouths, when they aren't doing that they are chopping on pens and all you hear is crunching NONE STOP. It is literally relentless.

Then they walk past you every 30 minutes to go for a fag break then walk back in stinking

Sorry, started out with a point and veered off topic to a general rant!
  • Options
    Every time i've given up smoking i've ended up with a hideous cough. Really does my head in. Also even if i haven't smoked for a few days i notice how much more stronger the smell is and everything. Very odd.
  • Options
    Stopped smoking for a while there last week and noticed myself getting a terrible cough and since back on the smokes haven't got as bad a cough, wierd.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    6 weeks isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. I'd expect it to take at least three months after giving up before it starts to improve.

How long did you smoke? Your body's got that much damage to undo, it isn't going to happen overnight.

Well done for giving up!

I'd been smoking about 7 years.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I'd been smoking about 7 years.

do you still crave a ciggie?
  • Options
    It's worse cos your lungs are actually regaining the sue of the cilia, and actually respond more to smoke like they should do, whilst also clearing out all the crap in your lungs.

Whereas when you're smoking you deaden all the cilia so they don't react as they should do.

Dunno how long it's supposed to last, first time i quite i was still hacking my lungs up for 2 months. Now the "green goo" as you so nicely put it, has stopped after just 3 weeks of quitting.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Every time i've given up smoking i've ended up with a hideous cough. Really does my head in. Also even if i haven't smoked for a few days i notice how much more stronger the smell is and everything. Very odd.

Not that odd, in the few days you haven't smoked you are already starting to regain your sense of smell.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A couple of years ago, my dad just started coughing badly. Several times a day, for a while. Apparently it was because his body was going back to normal after quitting smoking. And he quit in about '91.
    My point is that it will take a long time before you're back to normal. The coughing is a sign that you're getting there.