Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maytree service

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
Heya
Maybe not but Just wondering if anyone’s tried Maytree service before? And if you found it helpful? Or heard of it and heard that others found it helpful? Is charity that has a sanctuary for suicidal people and stay for four days or something like that. I’m not sure how would help or if this type of help me but I’m so suicidal all the time

I sent them an email asking them a question. They then told me about what they do and said have to call a few times to talk about a stay & talk with volunteers and I was like -thanks for help but is okay, I hate phone calls - they gave me their number, then sent nother email later said they could ring me if is less stress. Then sent email today saying they’re going to ring me later on this morning but I’m confused cause I don’t think can even see a phone number through an email? Now really stressed & just dunno how would be helpful but they seem nice and like they do want to help but Alwaysss feels like I am a bother to these sort of services when someone else could be using.

Edit- they didn’t have my number So just sent them it
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Isnt maytree in London? Or are you from London?
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah Maytree is in London. I don’t live in London but I don’t live that far away from it. They help all in uk even if don’t live exactly in London
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey Shaunie,

I found this review on Sane's website about Maytree from someone that's been there before which you mind find helpful. You can read about it here. Did they end up ringing you in the end?

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Hey @Aife
    Thank you! That was interesting and hopeful to read...until I read the very negative comment on it. Ahh
    They did ring me in the end & they was lovely & v sympathetic. Said should ring in a few days again but am too anxious. They sent another email aswell but i don’t know
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie

Just had a look myself and found this article https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/maytree-suicide-sanctuary-london_uk_573b2cace4b01359f687833f which has a lot of photos and also quite a nice insight into the staff there. Looks brilliant to me. Understand you're feeling anxious about it, do you think you could carry on the conversation over email and see how you get on?

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Lucy307 wrote: »
    Hey Shaunie

Just had a look myself and found this article https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/maytree-suicide-sanctuary-london_uk_573b2cace4b01359f687833f which has a lot of photos and also quite a nice insight into the staff there. Looks brilliant to me. Understand you're feeling anxious about it, do you think you could carry on the conversation over email and see how you get on?

- Lucy

That’s really interesting.
    Thank you for sharing
    edited June 2018
    So i  stopped the phones after one call but emailed them again like two weeks ago so they rang me a few times. Not helpful

And I mean i did tell them i hate phone calls so they was conviced i never want to speak about my problems as i sounded anxious and there was many awkward silencesThey said speaking isnt helping for me. Which is Rude and put words into my mouth and assumed. Yeah it does make me anxious. But im getting nowhere in life if that stops me.  so they suddenly told me they cant help. And i think they thought i wanted to go there to not eat and lose weight as my family wouldnt force me. None of which i said but it sounded like the assumed that once i they was talking about anorexia. Then they told me to ring them back when i feel more ready to speak and maybe getting the help from bpd. So they also assumed im going to be suicidal for that long. But probs dead by then

Theyre probably just overly careful it doesnt make someone feel worse after leaving cause may leave with no one to speak with or they think about being overwhelmed there. But yeah.wasnt helpful at all and wont bother again
    That sounds so frustrating! You would think they would be a little more understanding over the phone... Do you reckon you could reach out over email instead or has that put you off completely now? Such a shame coz looked like a good place!
    edited June 2018
    Na doubt it. they never even replied to my question in emails. Lil rude. Oh well. 
    Would it be too soon to get back in contact with these. Still feeling so suicidal am so fed up. And just wanna try anything. Feel hard to keep myself safe sometimes. They did tell me to get back in contact when im getting help from the bpd service which i am now. But i just feel like they would still not wanna bother with me cause i dont say a lot in the phone calls. So probably no point in it or anythingand dying sounds easier than trying
    Hey @Shaunie

It's really positive that you're thinking about reaching out to Maytree again. It's never too soon to reach out for support when you feel like you need it. It's good to hear they asked you to get back in contact with them once you started therapy with the bpd service. It sounds like they weren't too understanding when you called them before, but don't let that put you off from trying again. You really do deserve this support and it's okay if you can't talk about everything when you ring them. Hopefully they'll be more understanding this time. How would you feel about ringing them again to talk things through and see what your options are?  
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    @Shaunie, definitely not too soon, think this is a great idea, like @Aife said this is so positive to hear. There's no pressure, it sounds like you could try emailing again too if you are not feeling up to talking on the phone? What do you think?
    Thank you @Aife & @Lucy307 ,

would like to try it again as ive just read that it took someone else a two different times before approving. But dk i just dont think anyone cares and i dont wanna use their time😭& kinda just wanna be dead rn😭 . But i say that and i probably will ring.  Cause im a burden & just desperate😭Will try to ring them today. //: the last times ive had phone calls with them i was at home so it made it twice as hard to say anything & people was at home & is quiet house so was parniod of others hearing so said basically not alot.  So maybe will be better if i go out by myself
    edited September 2018
    Hey @Shaunie

I hope the phone call goes okay if you decide to ring them today. Going outside to make the call sounds like a good idea. There's lots of people out there who really do care and will want to help you through this. Don't worry about using their time, they are there to help people who are struggling and you really do deserve this support. You shouldn't have to go through this alone. Let us know how you get on today :) 

You could also try reaching out to your local Mind service. They have a sanctuary for people in crisis that might be something you'd like to try too. 

Hope the phone call goes okay. You can do this <3
    Post edited by Aife on
    edited September 2018
    Thank you @Aife ! <3 i think i might ring 111 later on if still feeling this awful & suicidal as ive been to mind sanctuary before and was lovely people & actually really helped i just forget it exists
    I have been too suicidal to ring maytree.:( Cause remember last time i did have one convo with them when was in crisis and they said it was hospital & immedate suicidal  sort - not this - so i didnt ring them.  But did ring 111 on thursday & went to mind santurary and spok for ages & was so so helpful. :) to just step back from thoughts and speak with someone when felt so unsafe. Do wanna ring maytree at some point or email but anxious
    Hey @Shaunie

It's really great to hear you went to Mind's sanctuary and found it so helpful! Really proud of you <3

It's okay to take your time with Maytree. You've taken a really positive step to reach out to Mind when you were struggling last week. Hope you're feeling okay today :) 
    How you feeling @Shaunie? Was really good to read you'd talked to Mind and it'd helped. Echoing @Aife here, but I'm really proud of you too. <3

Let us know how you get on with Maytree when you are ready. :smile:
    Thank you @Lucy307 & @Aife  💜

I feel bit better since talking to Mind. But still realllyy hopeless & suicidal. 😭😭 :(  So could maybe could try email Maytree or somethng as dont think suicidal immedate sort that theyd say is wrong sevice or something. So could try again. But will post here if do get in contact with them :)
    I emailed them yesterday even tho it says on their website that theyre not using their email- they still replied though. They said is okay to get back in contact. And then told me to see if it is any easier talking on the phone this time as last time i found it difficult😒 i wont :(

they said can ring them whenever. I will definetly ring tomorrow as finally will have the time and space at home when no one else is at home - so will try anyway - but i tried the other day and i just couldnt and put the phone down everytime they say “hi” :( 
    Shaunie said:

they said can ring them whenever. I will definetly ring tomorrow as finally will have the time and space at home when no one else is at home - so will try anyway - but i tried the other day and i just couldnt and put the phone down everytime they say “hi” :( 
    Can’t do it :(
    was a bit easier last time as they would ring me instead of me trying to ring them and find others ringing me a lot easier. but dont wanna ask that. So guess will leave it at that.🙃
     Well i am getting no where in life.
    Lol
    kill me:(
    Hey @Shaunie, do you think you could email them and ask them to ring you instead? Understand the anxiety about making the phonecall yourself. You are making the right steps, I really hope the Maytree help when you do get in contact <3 How are you doing?
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    edited October 2018
    Hey @Shaunie,

It looks like this thread is getting a bit beyond Anything Goes, so I've moved the last few posts over to a new thread in Health & Wellbeing. Feel free to continue this over there. :)   
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
This discussion has been closed.