Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What if it was my fault??

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
Right now I'm feeling terrible. I was diagnosed with epilepsy as a baby but was cleared by the age of 5. Doctors gave warning that it was a 50% chance it could return later in life. It has as I was diagnosed with epilepsy again last April.

But I am also an asthmatic. When I was younger probably about 8 years old. I accidentally took a much bigger dosage of my asmah inhaler ( Beclometasone)
It mad me feel weird but in a good way.
I started doing it more and more offen until my mum found out. As you can imaginen she was shocked and angry. I stopped doing it but ot was a while before I realised how dangerous it was. I'm quite ashamed of it to be honest. But it's got me thinking. Drug abuse can cause epilepsy. What if I caused my epilepsy?

It's still on my prescription but I don't use it as I don't like taking it, not because if what happened but just because I don't like it and taking it.

I don't want to drag this up with anyone in the family and if I tell my doctor I could be in a lot of trouble and from what I've heard and read they can refuse me some of the help i am entitled to.

What do I do now

Comments

• MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    I don't suppose you have any of the leaflet things that come with your inhalers, do you? They often explain common and uncommon side effects. Personally, I don't think taking large amounts of beclomethasone could cause your epilepsy to start up again. Do you remember any side effects at the time, perhaps feeling dizzy and nauseous? I'm not a doctor, but that's probably what may happen, but in terms of long term, I don't think it's linked with epilepsy (although you are right that taking large amounts can be dangerous and drug abuse can often cause seizures and epilepsy).

​Regardless of the asthma side of things, it was a 50% chance your epilepsy would return later on in life and perhaps it was just that chance that made it return, as opposed to anything you did. From what I've read, it's very common for epilepsy in childhood to return in adulthood, so I doubt it's your fault at all.

​If you want to bring it up with your doctor, I don't think it would be so bad. You were 8 at the time, and I remember not taking my inhalers properly when I was that age too. You were young and didn't know the dangers, whereas now you are older and more aware. You won't get in trouble for that. You could generally ask your doctor whether the beclomethasone could've increased your risk of the epilepsy returning, without mentioning what happened, if you prefer.

Take care :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi sorry I never replied I've spoken about it although not to my doctor and it's very unlikely the reason for my epilepsy. Thank you for taking the time to listen X
  • clydeclyde Posts: 1 Just got here
    Maisy wrote: »
    If you want to bring it up with your doctor, I don't think it would be so bad. You were 8 at the time, and I remember not taking my inhalers properly when I was that age too. You were young and didn't know the dangers, whereas now you are older and more aware. You won't get in trouble for that. You could generally ask your doctor whether the beclomethasone could've increased your risk of the epilepsy returning, without mentioning what happened, if you prefer.
    Great advice!
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Please remember to check the age of topics before posting.
    Closing this topic due to its age and no active discussion.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
This discussion has been closed.