Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Braces

Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 139 The Mix Convert
Hi,

I have a dentst apt tomorrow and scared... She's going to tell me off so badly because I have completely broken my retainer ish the metal clasps 2 have them have completely fallen off and the 2 back ones are broken. I don't even know how it broke but it has and i'm scared she's going to tell me off.

I'm also probably going to have more braces put on (at the moment I only have it on my bottom back teeth) but she'll soon put it all on- once they've fixed my bite.

I just feel like I will never have straight teeth and that 'smile' but also don't like braces feel so self-conscious with them. My dentist keep saying " it's not like heart surgery, not life and death, I don't have to have them- But I want the final result-it's just seems like a very very slow long journey"

Any advice... For tomorrow and in general

In_me

Comments

• Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Braces break sometimes, it's not your fault, I had mine for two years and more than once the elastic bands would go flying across the room and I'd be super embarrassed. Or the band would snap and I'd worry about being told off, braces seem strong but the paste holding them to your teeth wears away and the metal bands are very thin. Your dentist knows this and will have seen broken braces before, it's unlikely you will be told off.

Braces are worth it, your teeth will be straight, it just takes time. Your dentist may be scary but they are a professional and you can trust that they know how to get your teeth looking great even if it seems to be taking ages.

When you finally get your braces removed you can look back and remember how your teeth used to look, even take a picture now and compare it to your teeth in a month's time. Seeing a difference might make you feel more at ease, as you can imagine how amazing they will look in another month's time.

Unfortunately braces are a slow journey, keep checking your teeth or looking at old photos of yourself, seeing progress can help you feel so much better.

I hope it goes well, if you have any questions I can try to help, I'm sure others here have or had braces and can also help you feel more comfortable with them. :)
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hi,

I have a dentst apt tomorrow and scared... She's going to tell me off so badly because I have completely broken my retainer ish the metal clasps 2 have them have completely fallen off and the 2 back ones are broken. I don't even know how it broke but it has and i'm scared she's going to tell me off.

I'm also probably going to have more braces put on (at the moment I only have it on my bottom back teeth) but she'll soon put it all on- once they've fixed my bite.

I just feel like I will never have straight teeth and that 'smile' but also don't like braces feel so self-conscious with them. My dentist keep saying " it's not like heart surgery, not life and death, I don't have to have them- But I want the final result-it's just seems like a very very slow long journey"

Any advice... For tomorrow and in general

In_me

Hi In_me,

I know how you feel - I was a fellow braceface too! :D

Don't worry - I don't know a single person that hasn't broken or damaged their retainers. It's not pleasant, but the worst you'll get is a harsh talking-to - they won't withdraw your treatment so it's not a big issue. Life will go on as normalx

It's definitely a marathon, not a sprint. After all, it took years of growth and development for them to reach here, so naturally it will take quite a while to recorrect them - it took me a few years to fix mine! And feeling self-conscious is part of having braces - it's not something that anyone likes to wear, but it's better in the long run. A few funny looks and remarks over a couple of years is worth it for having a better set of teeth for the rest of your life!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.