Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you have lived experience of self-harm?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
UPDATE: This event is being pushed back a week. It is now scheduled for Wednesday 6th of December. If this date works better for anyone, you can register your interest either via the Do-it page or by emailing volunteering@themix.org.uk.

Hey everyone :wave:

We’ve been asked to try to pull together a small group of people with lived experience of self-harm to help create a tool for Self-Harm Awareness Day next year. We will be doing some work with the other charities to make sure that this is a safe space to get involved and talk about self-harm.

If you're interested, click here for the full information (I've copied the main blurb below). You can either register your interest via that page, tell us in this thread or via PM.

Any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Cheers,
Mike

About the opportunity
[FONT=&quot]The Mix, Young Minds and Self Harm UK are the charity partners behind Self Harm Awareness Day, a nationwide campaign held every March that aims to raise awareness of young people struggling with self-harm and promote potential avenues of support. Now in its fifth year, the campaign has seen a considerable rise in the numbers of young people reporting self-harm and done much to raise awareness of the issue. This year we are working with an award winning digital agency - Reason Digital - to create a practical intervention to support young people dealing with self-harm to accompany the campaign.[/FONT]

What are they looking for?
[FONT=&quot]We are looking for young people aged 18-25 with lived experience of self-harm to join a creative session. If you're passionate about helping others and are confident telling us your thoughts and views in a supportive environment, apply today!

You'll get the chance to work with an award winning digital agency and experience the creative process behind the design and build of innovative, agile solutions in the charity sector - a perfect opportunity to build skills and examples for interviews in the sector.[/FONT]

Practical Considerations
[FONT=&quot]You'll need to be 18-25 and available to attend a workshop in central London on the 28th of November from 10.30am-12.30pm. We'll cover reasonable travel expenses and throw in some food and refreshments during the workshop too.

When you apply, make sure you select 'co-creation/workshop as how you would like to get involved.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Trigger Warning:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] This workshop will involve in depth discussions about self harm and how we can support people who self harm. There will be no expectation for you to share your personal experiences to the group, however the workshop may bring back memories, thoughts and experiences that may be distressing. Every step will be taken to ensure that the environment is supportive to use your experiences in a safe and positive way, however we encourage all participants to consider and prioritise your own recovery journey when taking part.[/FONT]
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks for the interest, both of you! :)

We're aware that this one might be a bit awkward for some of our folks on here as it's London based and it's happening very soon. Shame you can't make it this time, but there will probably be similar opportunities happening in the future (hopefully with a little more advanced notice!).

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    The Mix wrote: »
    Thanks for the interest, both of you! :)

We're aware that this one might be a bit awkward for some of our folks on here as it's London based and it's happening very soon. Shame you can't make it this time, but there will probably be similar opportunities happening in the future (hopefully with a little more advanced notice!).

Mike

Mike, i have shown my interest with YoungMinds because im a volunteer with them too, might share my interest with you guys too.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    London is toooooo far from me too 😔
    Jess101 wrote: »

Mike, i have shown my interest with YoungMinds because im a volunteer with them too, might share my interest with you guys too.

If you've already shown interest in the event with them, reckon it probably makes sense not to double up, just so people don't get confused. ;) Great to hear you're up for getting involved though! If you go, I hope it goes well. :d

Mike

Just an update here - this event is being pushed back a week. It is now scheduled for Wednesday 6th of December. If this date works better for anyone, you can register your interest either via the Do-it page or by emailing volunteering@themix.org.uk. :)

Thanks!
    Mike