Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is this something to be embarrassed about?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, one thing that I will never fully understand is this feeling of embarrassment when I want to talk about anything to do with my mental health. Maybe it's because people perceive those with mental health as 'crazy people' or people they can't control? Or maybe I feel like I'm just being an attention-seeker and really I'm just hormonal?

It drives me insane not being able to speak to anybody about the problems I have been facing. So I thought I would turn to this... writing a post about it... so maybe other people could relate to how I'm feeling. Sometimes all it takes is for someone to WANT to speak to you and listen to your problems rather than being so judgemental. Why do people think that those with mental health issues keep things bottled up for so long? Because we're afraid of the consequences of telling you! Afraid to be pushed into a corner and forced to go and get 'help' when we're not ready to... afraid to finally open up about something and feel so vulnerable..

I've been suffering since the age of 14, and I'm 21 now. I've never really come to terms with what I have until recently. I decided to accept the fact that I'm not just 'sad' or 'stressed' all the time, it's something more. When I was 13, my uncle passed away. He was the light of my life. And from that point on everything went downhill. Members of my family suffered from depression because of it and I eventually felt like I didn't want to burden them with my problems because everyone else was dealing with their own..

It's still so hard right now to think about who I should turn to about these issues I'm facing, who to trust, who I should really open up to. But I thought maybe this post would encourage others to be brave, be open and be proud of who they are and how much they have had to go through, like me.

If anyone wants to message about any issues I've written above.. please feel free to message me. I'd love to just have a conversation without people judging me for who I am..

- Lizzie x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont think you need to be embarrassed about it and i can understand how youre feeling, i cant really relate to what youre going through but i think that the pain of what we suffer is still the same bc to you this is the most painful thing youve had to deal with and with me im dealing with a different pain but its the same to me bc its the most painful thing ive felt. i guess what im trying to say is that we have different pains but the intensity is the same so no... dont be embarrassed or feel you will be judged. most everyone here will only want to help from what ive seen. im new too so its new to me but i feel much better than i did before so i guess it helps to talk about things. hugs
    girlinpain wrote: »
    i dont think you need to be embarrassed about it and i can understand how youre feeling, i cant really relate to what youre going through but i think that the pain of what we suffer is still the same bc to you this is the most painful thing youve had to deal with and with me im dealing with a different pain but its the same to me bc its the most painful thing ive felt. i guess what im trying to say is that we have different pains but the intensity is the same so no... dont be embarrassed or feel you will be judged. most everyone here will only want to help from what ive seen. im new too so its new to me but i feel much better than i did before so i guess it helps to talk about things. hugs

:heart:thank you so much. It's lovely to hear those words. Sending love back x
    youre welcome and im so sorry that you are dealing with this. im glad that ive been able to help in some small way if only to tell you that youre not alone. its not much but its what i have rn.... <3
    girlinpain wrote: »
    youre welcome and im so sorry that you are dealing with this. im glad that ive been able to help in some small way if only to tell you that youre not alone. its not much but its what i have rn.... <3

And that same goes to you. We may be strangers but we can always relate to the same things/feelings at some point. Please message me if you ever need someone to talk to x
    i will and the youre welcome to message me too. im mckenna btw :)
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hey @hlizzie1 ,

Welcome to the boards. I'm Eleanor, 14, it's nice to meet you and I think you've been exceptionally brave in writing this and opening up to us - absolutely no need to be embarrassed as I know from experience that judgement is never a problem on here 😊

I say that, but I can relate to you with the embarrassment too with people I know. It's like when you talk to people they wonder why you didn't talk to them sooner - 'no, I didn't talk sooner because I was scared of your reaction.'

Definitely feel free to post if you ever need any support. The Mix has chats too for the 13-25s on Sundays-Thursdays from 8-9.30pm - to both get support and for general chit chat! I find those a great place as well.

Take care,

- Eleanor x
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Hey [USER="102214"]hlizzie1[/USER] ,

Welcome to the boards. I'm Eleanor, 14, it's nice to meet you and I think you've been exceptionally brave in writing this and opening up to us - absolutely no need to be embarrassed as I know from experience that judgement is never a problem on here 😊

I say that, but I can relate to you with the embarrassment too with people I know. It's like when you talk to people they wonder why you didn't talk to them sooner - 'no, I didn't talk sooner because I was scared of your reaction.'

Definitely feel free to post if you ever need any support. The Mix has chats too for the 13-25s on Sundays-Thursdays from 8-9.30pm - to both get support and for general chit chat! I find those a great place as well.

Take care,

- Eleanor x

Thank you Eleanor. I appreciate you’re response and understanding and for a warm welcome. Hopefully we shall speak more soon! ❤️
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    hlizzie1 wrote: »

Thank you Eleanor. I appreciate you&#146;re response and understanding and for a warm welcome. Hopefully we shall speak more soon! ❤️

It's not a problem. I hope so too😊😊
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I love the support on here💜
    Please never feel embarrassed to speak about how youre feeling. Youre only human. EVERYONE has their own struggles and are battling somethin, whether it is big or small. May not even see people are struggling but its all real and deserve to be listen to if wanted . Youre never alone, cause someone will always be wanting to listen at anytime you do want to speak about it, whether thats someone you know or a crisis line, where a stranger is waiting and wanting to help you.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie wrote: »
    I love the support on here💜
    Please never feel embarrassed to speak about how youre feeling. Youre only human. EVERYONE has their own struggles and are battling somethin, whether it is big or small. May not even see people are struggling but its all real and deserve to be listen to if wanted . Youre never alone, cause someone will always be wanting to listen at anytime you do want to speak about it, whether thats someone you know or a crisis line, where a stranger is waiting and wanting to help you.

I know it’s so nice isn’t it - I hope you’re well as I’ve been in the group chat 2 nights in a row whilst you’re in it and tried to help you out - but yeah I totally get what you’re saying it’s just hard to know who to trust because everyone treats you like glass that will be broken if they slip up and say something they shouldn’t! Thanks for you words tho 🧡
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    I think as someone with mental health problems and as someone who talks openly about my depression and anxiety in the media on TV and radio etc. I feel strongly that we can have am equal conversation about our physical and mental health. I'm sure we would talk to people about our broken leg to family and friends but when it comes to.an invisible illness then we all tend to shy away. What I am trying to say is that everyone has mental health and sometimes it gets sick, talking about it really does help.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)