Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help motivate me

Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there Meggles.

I think we've all had difficulty trying to motivate ourselves from time to time so it's definitely understandable. There's actually a great article on The Mix about study motivation here http://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/study-motivation-1354.html that I hope you might find useful. As for me personally, and it's mentioned in that article, I try to get rid of any outside distractions to really focus on what I'm doing as it's so easy to just pick up your phone or click around on the computer.

I hope this helps.

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
  • SunshineSoulSunshineSoul Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hey Meggles,

​I totally know how you feel #studentproblems

​The Mix's study motivation article is great and all very true but I'll offer some different ones that you can try.

​What subject are you studying? I'm studying a social science and what I find helps me is to watch documentaries around my subject area. This usually gets me in the right headspace for reading/writing about the subject afterwards and sometimes it's good to learn by visual means as it changes it up a bit.

​Ask someone to be your study buddy. I often ask my girlfriend to study with me. Whilst she's studying her own subject some sort of study vibes must be released into the air because I get motivated to study too. I also ask very nicely if she could go through my assignments with me and we end up having debates about my subject area - so it helps to talk about it and vocalise your thoughts, this usually motivates me to write my ideas down and learn more.

​or you could try this:

21042129_289139371564990_8006086633386409984_n.jpg

I tend to reward myself after I have read a chapter or have completed an assignment and that usually involves some sweet goodies.

- Sunny :rainbow:
  • emilyjohnemilyjohn Posts: 23 Boards Initiate
    i think you have to achieve your goals step by step,focus on your target never loose hope. This is great forum about the about study motivation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    emilyjohn wrote: »
    i think you have to achieve your goals step by step,focus on your target never loose hope. This is great forum about the about study motivation.

This helped sooo much, thanks!
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Meggles wrote: »
    So in sat trying to do reading for my independent study and my brain is just numb and im reading the same bits over and over and I actually can't take anything in,
    Im seriously struggling to motivate myself
    Any tips help or whatever?
    Thanks

I think the issue is the way you're approaching the task. If reading the same thing over and over (which isn't an effective way to revise anyways) doesn't work, then switch it up. Get creative, and use post-it notes or mindmaps to engage your brain in a different way!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Meggles wrote: »

im reading for the purpose of research for my study.. its not about engaging my brain. its just my motivation levels.

Sometimes the dreaded writer's block affects me, Meggles. The page stares empty back at me while I fret wondering how my historian aunt is going to feel when I tell her I can't submit the 5,000 word essay she's expecting. I try scribbling with my pencil and still nothing comes; my motivation starts to crumble. I wouldn't recommend you go out and chop logs which is what I do, but some form of physical exercise has an amazing way of making one feel good because exercise really does clear the mind. So guess what? My writer's block just melted away.

It melted away when feeling spritzed from exercising, I began a list called To Do's. On the paper I began prioritizing what needed to be done, on the day starting with a rough draft. In my position I'm learning to become a writer, but it's not an easy task - and yet - the motivation began when I made a pot of tea and got busy with the pencil. Before long, I'd filled 3/4 of the page and the reward? A lot of gratitude from aunty. The essay was several months ago, and though I was late submitting it, she was well pleased.

Give yourself a break and try some exercise.

Belle xx