Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GP or Counsellor?

pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
Sorry for uploading another post so soon, but I can’t think straight right now, so can’t even come up with valid reasons for wanting to see a GP first instead of a counsellor (or vice versa) so can anyone help me out? I know this is a bit of a weird request, but my mind is a mess.

Comments

• pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    I should probably add that my preference was GP first
  • starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
    I would say gp then they can refer you if they feel it would be beneficial. Especially regarding what you were saying in your last post too :)
    Thank you Esme, I was worried about waiting times for referral though. Could I refuse a GP referral but go private if they thought treatment would be beneficial?
    Yeah that might work too! I’m not too sure how it works myself but I think that would work?
    Thanks Esme
    So I finally went to see a GP today.

It went okay, I talked about some of my concerns (nerves got the better of me so didn’t mention everything) and that I talk to my mum and close friend. I mentioned that I had almost seen a counsellor twice but something stopped me, so I was told to try and get private counselling again, as well as to look at some websites, do some exercise and do something with other people then go back to the doctors in two weeks, or sooner if I feel really low.

I would feel too awkward to try and reach out again to the counsellor I was emailing (haven’t contacted them in about 8 months,) I didn’t see anything of assistance on the websites, I hate all exercise and feel worse when I do it, and I haven’t got anything to do with other people than talk or hang around the shopping centre. Exercise and being with others doesn’t take my mind off of anything. I know I sound so negative but I just can’t help it now, and I know I want help but nothing has ever benefitted me in the past.

I don’t want to dismiss what the doctor told me immediately, and I will try, but I’ve just become so negative that my mind does
  • RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Well done Pumpkinpie for going and seeing the GP.

Above you spoke about not wanting to talk to the counsellor which you had previously spoken to which is fine. Do you think you will try and find a different counsellor which you might feel more comfortable talking to?

Its ok if your not interested in exercise but you want to get to know others, do you enjoy anything else for example photography, baking or something arty? There are lost of different groups which out there, google is a great place to start and find out all the different groups which might be available in the local area to you.

How you feeling now?

Keep talking, well done.

Rayofhope:rainbow:
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
    Hi and thanks Rayofhope.

I don’t think it’s that I don’t want to talk to this counsellor, it’s just that something in my mind stops me from contacting them and I just leave it. I don’t know much about this counsellor but I will hopefully try and get in touch again.

There’s not very much in my local area, and unfortunately I’m not really very arty but I do bake occasionally. I should probably exercise because the doctor told me they’d definitely ask me about it when I go back. Hate it but I’m unfit so it might help.

I’m feeling better now, when I wrote my previous post I was having a very low moment. Hopefully I’ll sleep okay tonight.

Pumpkin
  • RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Hi Pumpkin,

It sounds positive that you do want to try and get back in contact with this counsellor just that there is something stopping you getting in contact at the moment. Do you know what might be stopping you making contact?

There are lots of different forms of exercise out there so I hope you are able to find something out there which you enjoy. The motivation to do exercise can be hard.

Lets us know how you currently doing?

Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
    Rayofhope wrote: »
    Hi Pumpkin,

It sounds positive that you do want to try and get back in contact with this counsellor just that there is something stopping you getting in contact at the moment. Do you know what might be stopping you making contact?

There are lots of different forms of exercise out there so I hope you are able to find something out there which you enjoy. The motivation to do exercise can be hard.

Lets us know how you currently doing?

Thanks again Rayofhope.

I’m doing okay thanks. I think it might be some sort of fear of the unknown that is stopping me from contacting the counsellor, which could also explain why I wanted to go to the GP first (as I obviously know what that’s like.)

I did do some exercise by putting an abnormal amount of effort into circuit training in PE class, but I didn’t particularly enjoy it, as with all other forms of exercise. The doctor I saw before said it could help take my mind off of what I’m going through, but the whole time I exercised, my internal negative voice was screaming at me, telling me I’m unfit, fat, not putting enough effort in, etc, until I just ended up sore and exhausted. (I can’t even help but be negative now.)

I’m hopefully going to go back to the doctors sometime next week, but maybe see a different GP, as I wasn’t really comfortable with the one I saw before.

Pumpkin
    Hi again all,

I went back to the doctors today, and saw a different GP who was really nice and I felt a lot more comfortable with them than with the previous one. I told them everything I had said before, and what the other GP had recommended I do, and they gave me information for different things (which I actually feel could be more beneficial than exercise, spending time with people, etc.)

They gave me contact details for a local drop-in centre which has an on site counsellor, and said that they’d look into a new computerised programme of cognitive behavioural therapy for me, as they weren’t sure what the age limit on it was. I didn’t get a referral to CAMHS or anything, as the waiting list is about 18 months and the GP wants me to get help quicker. I also had to fill out a questionnaire about how I’ve been feeling.

Overall, I think this appointment went better than the previous one, and I do feel slightly more positive about getting help.

Pumpkin
    That's really good to hear Pumpkin, I hope things start to get better for you now. :)

Esme x