Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can you be a Christian without going church

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
I do believe in god and his teachings although I don't read the bible or go to church. So I was wondering what you guys think. Can you be a Christian if you don't read the bible or go to church?

My mum never had me christened as a baby because she wanted me to be able to choose what I believed in when I was older.

My nan was a Christian but she didn't attend an actual church (building) It was a group at her pastors house, so it was a church group but they did everything you would do at church so it was the same thing.

I don't talk about my beliefs a lot a part from saying "I do believe in god and heaven and jesus"

But can you still be a Christian if you don't go to church, pray a lot?

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Yeahh, you can be a Christian as long as you have prayed for God to save you :) I know a lot of Christians that don't go to church, some go to get baptized and thats it :heart:
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    I don't think you need to do anything in particular to be part of any faith - I think it's your beliefs that make you part of a religion, you don't need to prove anything :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • SunshineSoulSunshineSoul Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi :wave:

Religion is personal and you shouldn't feel that you need to do certain things like going to church to be a part of that faith group. Your beliefs are your own and like @Lucy307 said you don't need to prove anything to anyone. However if you feel that you want to be part of a group with like minded individuals you could see if your local church runs activity groups in the community or has volunteering roles available for example at a Food Bank to help people in crisis.

I personally don't identify with any religion but instead my actions and morals are influenced by the teachings from lots of different faiths. I believe your faith is evident through your actions in terms of helping others, respecting the planet and animals and spreading positive messages. What does being a Christian mean to you?

​- Sunny :rainbow:

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Traditionally, a 'church' is a collective of people, not a building. Back in the days of when Christians were persecuted by the Romans they'd do all their praying etc inside and that evolved in to a church being though tof as a building.

Being a Christian is about a relationship between Jesus and yourself. If you enjoy the fellowship of others they by all means go along to a church. But there is no set requirement for you to attend.
  • DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Really good replies guys! Sharing opinions in a respectful way :) Keep it up!

Have a great day :)

Drea:heart:
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I personally don't identify with a religion either, but my mother is a Christian and only attended church up until the age of 16, then stopped going. Not because her beliefs had changed, but for other reasons.

So, I don't think you have to go to church to be a Christian.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Thanks guys I know I haven’t been on in a while it’s been mad crazy!

Thanks for all your opinions
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Thanks guys I know I haven’t been on lately it’s been mad crazy!

Thank you for your opinions
    If Christianity is what you believe in then you can call yourself a Christian, you dont have to attend a church to have your personal beliefs confirmed
    Of course you can be a Christian without going to church, but there are some great online churches you could join if going out in these dark evenings is a problem. Online fellowships have been popular, too, even online Christian websites are good if you'd like to participate.

What could help is using a daily devotional such as ODB: https://odb.org/

If we don't ascribe to a particular faith, we can still be spiritual people. Even the gentle light from a lit candle brings great comfort and hope. We can meditate, we can pray in our own way. The possibilities are all out there.

In our busy lives, sometimes we get so lost in our destinations that we forget about the journey. It is important for us to capture moments of beauty, love and happiness whenever we can, be it at home or in the park or in some place where it feels peaceful.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Of course. Christianity is a faith, and you can choose to be as relaxed or orthodox as you'd like. There are plenty of Christians that don't go to church. There are also some people who go to church, but aren't Christian!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Nicely put, @Azziman :)
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Hi @One-in-a-million

You need to attend church, but it's nice if you can occasionally because you get to meet other believers who can help you if need be. There are online churches though, and better than no church at all. Helping ourselves we can make super new friendships this way, and/or join an online Christians site. Maybe your town church has an online website? It's worth finding out.

By the way, I'm not 13 like Princesa said, my real age is authenticated to be 16 - whatever, we can't erase the past.

I haven't been to church lately, but always pray at night for family, for friends. Lighting a candle symbolises Jesus 'The Light of the world', and it's comforting, too.

Wishing you well,

Belle
  • EstherEsther Deactivated Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
    I believe that you can be a Christian without going to Church , a Church is just fellowship where Christians meet and that could be a house for instance. I believe that Christianity is individual and its about your personal faith and journey with God
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Hi @Esther

Since I last wrote, we moved to a village community where there is a lovely historic church with a small comminity of parishioners. There, I found such a warm welcome that I felt going to the church would be very rewarding. The minister asked me to lead the Sunday worship which meant playing my acoustic guitar and leading the hymns and popular choruses.

Now I am in the centre of our village community, it feels great that by taking part in church activities enables our Christian community to thrive. Young parents are bringing their children; older parishioners are lovely to talk to and great to listen and learn from their experiences. So now I feel I belong, and that means taking an active part instead of staying at home. Village communities thrive being together; worship and worshipping together helps bind us all.

As Princesa said, 'In our busy lives, sometimes we get so lost in our destinations that we forget about the journey. It is important for us to capture moments of beauty, love and happiness whenever we can, be it at home or in the park or in some place where it feels peaceful.'

For me, that means taking an active part with young and old in our lovely old church, and becoming stronger in our shared faith.

~ Belle
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I'm not really a religious person, but I believe that you can be a Christian without going to church. It's up to you to decide what you believe in, and other people can't say you're not a part of that religion just because you don't do all the things that they do.