Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

abortion-underweight

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
since my abortion in mid july I have now been diagnosed as extremely underweight, its making it really hard to feel happy about the way I look and I am therefore really self conscious and insecure. I also cant eat in public and if I do eat lots I just end up being physically ill.

advice needed

Comments

• Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Laura,

Your body throughout life goes through a lot of changes which is completely normal, however sometimes when your weight changes as a result of some hardships you've gone through especially emotionally then sometimes it is good to look for help so well done for doing just that! Have you thought of going to the GP and telling them about this problem?

After what you have been through it may be good to take things in steps and try not to pressure yourself too much! If you feel uncomfortable eating in public, try to eat when you're in a place you consider yourself comfortable in, like your home or your room and then maybe work your way up and see how you feel. There is no rush! If you feel maybe this is a cause for concern in terms of your mental health it could be good to go to the GP, or if you're more comfortable, to contact someone to help you anonymously. Here's a link: https://www.b-eat.co.uk/support-services

Hope your day is better!

Drea:heart:
  • Options
    Hi Drea. Thanks for the reply. Yeh I know my body goes through loads of changes. I just thought I should post about whats happened cause I need some help. I am scared to go to the GP. I still get flashbacks of what I went through. Thanks for your advice on what to do about the eating situation I will keep it a try. I will take a look at the link cause right now I'm scared to go to the doctors at the fear of getting judged for what has happened to me. Thanks hopefully ill have a better day.
  • Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Laura,

You're right and well done for posting especially since it is a topic that could make you feel uncomfortable. It's completely normal to be scared to go to the doctors and well done for staying so strong. You have our support :) If you need any more guidance we're always here.

Have an amazing day!

Drea:heart:
  • Options
    Hi Drea. thanks for the reply. yes this is a topic that is hard and making me uncomfortable, I'm trying to stay strong but at times its not easy, thanks for saying I have your support, haven't had the best of days x
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Laura I hope you're feeling a little better :)
    it might be helpful to start with really small but frequent meals so for instance cut your lunch into two by having something small and then something else later or having like half a sandwich instead of a whole one. eating in places like your room or places that are private can be helpful and then maybe you can work your way up. it's not uncommon or weird to not like eating in public and many people don't. in fact many places like colleges are catering to that fact and let people eat alone. my best advice would be if you're comfortable to eat in your room then do so if it means you'll be able to eat. try eating before you go out so you don't have to. and maybe go to secluded areas like I always take my flask of soup and go under some tree's or somewhere with not so many people.
    it's important to start off small and work your way up.
    and remember that many of us are scared to go to the doctors so it's not uncommon x
    well done for making this post and as Drea said we are all here for you if you need support or guidance, never fear to ask :)

Best wishes :rainbow2:

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    Hey LaneBoi. Yeh ill start by having small frequent meals and I am going to continue to eat in private. thanks for all the advice. yes I am scared to go to the doctors about it. thanks. still nor feeling any better too be honest.