Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why always so many guests online?

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
Silly question but like where it says who's online it's like 20 members and like 748 guests (random number). Why so many 😂😂
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I don't usually say like that often
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    They're like non members viewing topics. Presumably brought here from like search engines and stuff :)
    Weekender Offender 
    i always think that too and also i say like the same amount lol

ha😂
    Skive wrote: »
    They're like non members viewing topics. Presumably brought here from like search engines and stuff :)

ah that's interesting. Thanks.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    It's the same on another forum i use, they're probably people who searched something up and came across a certain thread, you'll be surprised how many people search websites without signing up x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    @The Mix Do you have any stats as to when the most members online was as opposed to total users?
    Weekender Offender 
    The Mix wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

Just to add to what's already been said (thanks [USER="2712"]Skive[/USER]!), lots of those guests will be people reading threads they've found from Google.
    Believe it or not, the most viewed thread ever is [URL="http://vbulletin.thesite.org/forum/thesite-topics/health-wellbeing/food-drink/114245-cantonese-style-sweet-and-sour"]Cantonese style sweet and sour?[/URL] - around 28,000 people have read that thread in the last couple of years! (and almost all of them on Saturday evenings!) :crazyeyes

Some of those guests will also be bots - software used by search engines like Google to index websites.

- James

Thank you for this James! Ha that thread now has another view!
    [USER="95867"]The Mix[/USER] Do you have any stats as to when the most members online was as opposed to total users?

I would love to know this too!!

Great question.
    It's a little tricky to extract reliable stats from the boards software. For example, it's telling us that the most users ever online on one day was the 31st of Jan 2017, with 590 registered users online. To be honest, that doesn't seem right, particularly when compared to the average day this year. Apart from that blip, the stats tell us that the most users online at once was back in March 2005: 377 people online (but the stats don't go back further than that).

James

That's cool! Wow, 377 registered users online on here when I was only a few years old (wow) now I feel like the youngest person on here!
    the stats tell us that the most users online at once was back in March 2005: 377 people online (but the stats don't go back further than that).

James

Cool. That did seem to be the busiest period around here. Is that users or members?
    Weekender Offender 

That's cool! Wow, 377 registered users online on here when I was only a few years old (wow) now I feel like the youngest person on here!

This place used to look very different

http://web.archive.org/web/20001206084100/www.thesite.org/cgi-noperl/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
    Weekender Offender 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture

Oh my gosh, I forgot this was a thing! That hurts slightly to look at now though. :crazyeyes
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Oh wow! Now that is cool!!
    Mike wrote: »

Oh my gosh, I forgot this was a thing! That hurts slightly to look at now though. :crazyeyes

I once asked if we could have a theme that reflected what the boards used to look like so the the 'Skiver' theme was made. :)
    In about 2002 the boards went very orange (apart from the clubbing forum which went green for some reason) and we still have a theme to represent that called 'old skool'
    Weekender Offender 

I once asked if we could have a theme that reflected what the boards used to look like so the the 'Skiver' theme was made. :)
    In about 2002 the boards went very orange (apart from the clubbing forum which went green for some reason) and we still have a theme to represent that called 'old skool'

Wow!! 2002? Definitely old school for me hahaha. From this I've learned something - if you want to know anything about the history of the site... ask @Skive - who's been here for 16 years.

Wow!! 2002? Definitely old school for me hahaha. From this I've learned something - if you want to know anything about the history of the site... ask @Skive - who's been here for 16 years.

Honestly you could write a book about some of the stuff that's happened here. We used sit around drinking chatting crap till the early hours. There were half naked photos, massive arguments, plenty of flirting. There were regular meets. Some posters have gone to prison , some married each other and had babies, a couple of posters unfortunately passed away. Was a proper busy little community.
    Weekender Offender 

Honestly you could write a book about some of the stuff that's happened here. We used sit around drinking chatting crap till the early hours. There were half naked photos, massive arguments, plenty of flirting. There were regular meets. Some posters have gone to prison , some married each other and had babies, a couple of posters unfortunately passed away. Was a proper busy little community.

Argh, how didn't I see this.. It seems much quieter now? Still an amazing community though!
  • emilyjohnemilyjohn Posts: 23 Boards Initiate
    Yeah this is interesting question, some of those guests will also be bots - software used by search engines like Google to index websites.
    emilyjohn wrote: »
    Yeah this is interesting question, some of those guests will also be bots - software used by search engines like Google to index websites.

yup definitely
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bots without doubt. Pesky little things. Pity we can't pot-shot at 'em! :p