Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The US Presidential Election

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was gutted when I heard Trump had won. I think he's absolutely vile, words cannot describe how much I detest this man. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Hillary either, but she was definitely the lessor of two evils. Apparently there has already been a huge rise in hate crimes in the US since he got elected, I guess the racist sexist homophobic twats who used to hide in the background feel like they can get away with it now that the new president is one of them.
    Trump doesn't become president until January.

Hillary Clinton is very unlikable, which is one of the main reasons that he won.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    This sums up my feelings pretty well. It was bassically a shiniest turd election.Both terrible candidates. I wouldn't have voted for Trump but I can understand why people have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
    Weekender Offender 
    Steve_ wrote: »
    Trump doesn't become president until January.

Hillary Clinton is very unlikable, which is one of the main reasons that he won.

But if you look at the overall votes, rather than the electoral college results, Hillary won.
    Trumps overall votes : 60526852
    Hillary's overall votes : 61324576

Turn's out Hillary isn't as unlikable as you thought.
    I was aware that she received slightly more votes than him, but as in the UK, a system of first-past-the-post means that not all votes are equal. My point is that if the Democrats had chosen a likeable candidate instead of her, they would have received far more votes and would have won.

He's better at public speaking. He's able to talk to people of all socioeconomic classes, without talking down to them. He's respected for his business success and millions of poor people voted for him, despite him being privileged all his life. She comes across as angry, patronising and spiteful.

Her bringing up the sexual misconduct allegations against him didn't have much of an effect on his popularity, because of a long list of similar allegations against her husband.

In many cases, the winner has won because the other candidates lacked popularity. In the UK, the Labour Party's general election losses in 1983, 1987, 1992, 2010 and 2015 were in large part due to the unpopularity of its leaders at those times (Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock, Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband). 
    I think that if I didn't see a lot of evidence to the contrary in the local community, I would say that people are kicking back against the notion that the chatterati know best. Brexit, the Trump victory... maybe it's time to start asking questions of the public, and really listening to the answers...
    Yes, voting for Brexit and voting for Trump are votes against the establishment. Most political parties wanted the UK to stay in the EU. Thousands of celebrities and public figures had expressed support for Hillary Clinton, but few had done so for Trump.