Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How can our emotions affect our relationships and what can we do about it?

peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
Hey all, it's exam season and with this comes a whole lot of emotions. For me, stress encompasses most of this, and it leads to feelings of frustration, anger, anxiety, and depressive thoughts. It makes me more irritable, and I know I'm prone to snap at people with these feelings. How do you respond to your emotions and what do you think should be done in these situations?

Of course, this is only one example out of many: on the other end of the spectrum, we could be feeling absolutely fantastic - how would this affect our relationships?

Curious to hear your thoughts :)

-peachysoo

Comments

• raindrop96raindrop96 Posts: 19 Settling in
    I am looking for an answer to this question myself, because I haven't been able to do anything about my emotions lately and my relationship is on the rocks because of it. It's exhausting to constantly feel stressed, anxious, etc., for both people. I think depending on the degree of suffering that you're experiencing, you can look for self-help resources or actually turn to a professional, if that's an option. I think that's what would help me and I think that's the case for a lot of people too. The fight is difficult if you're trying to face the demons alone, because the demons often feel like they're you. 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi peachysoo,

Stress causes anger, anxiety and sadness to all people, although at different levels depending on environment and level of stress. It's very important to take proper breaks, so that you can relax and cool down. Meditation, mindfulness and exercise work wonders. Make sure you are eating well and sleeping well. Don't overwork yourself. Allow yourself some rewards from time to time. And remember to treat yourself kindly - living as a human is more important than living like a robot in chains.

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I think when stressed that maybe its sometimes best to be by self to destress Cause people (relationship or not) can be stressful too🙃 and add on to the stress and also snapping at people can make things worse.

and when you spend some more time by your self - youre more likely to enjoy someone else company when finally do spend time with them. Which can help with the stress from exams ect And good to recharge ourself - so dont overwhelm -if youre frustated anyway

hope makes sense
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
    I am looking for an answer to this question myself, because I haven't been able to do anything about my emotions lately and my relationship is on the rocks because of it. It's exhausting to constantly feel stressed, anxious, etc., for both people. I think depending on the degree of suffering that you're experiencing, you can look for self-help resources or actually turn to a professional, if that's an option. I think that's what would help me and I think that's the case for a lot of people too. The fight is difficult if you're trying to face the demons alone, because the demons often feel like they're you. 
    Hey raindrop96,
    I fully agree with your suggestions. Self-help can be very beneficial when your emotions aren't too overbearing, but sometimes you do need the support of others, and it's quite unreasonable to expect understanding from people when you don't let them know how you are feeling at all!
    -peachysoo
    Azziman said:
    Hi peachysoo,

Stress causes anger, anxiety and sadness to all people, although at different levels depending on environment and level of stress. It's very important to take proper breaks, so that you can relax and cool down. Meditation, mindfulness and exercise work wonders. Make sure you are eating well and sleeping well. Don't overwork yourself. Allow yourself some rewards from time to time. And remember to treat yourself kindly - living as a human is more important than living like a robot in chains.

Much love <3
    Hey Azziman,

I love this advice! It can be really easy to forget that we are not robots, and overworking ourselves can be more detrimental than doing less than what we think we ought to be doing.

-peachysoo
    Shaunie said:
    I think when stressed that maybe its sometimes best to be by self to destress Cause people (relationship or not) can be stressful too🙃 and add on to the stress and also snapping at people can make things worse.

and when you spend some more time by your self - youre more likely to enjoy someone else company when finally do spend time with them. Which can help with the stress from exams ect And good to recharge ourself - so dont overwhelm -if youre frustated anyway

hope makes sense
    Hey Shaunie,
    I really relate to what you're saying, especially feeling even worse when you snap at people as a result of your feelings! It can be best to destress on your own. And I agree! You're more likely to value someone else's company if you're not around them all the time. I think, also, that, by being on your own, we can learn to appreciate our own company and being fine on our own!

-peachysoo