Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Knock-offs (clothes etc)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
What do you feel about buying knock-offs (ie fake designer clothes, watches etc)?

As money is tight for spending on clothes when I'm budgeting to improve our home, we visit the town's market where after considerable haggling I paid just €20 for a well made pair of knock-off Prada denims for Sophie. They look great on her. I also bought a knock-off designer hoodie for her, just €20 :)

I wouldn't normally buy fake stuff. But if you're strapped for cash, would you buy a knock-off if the price was right?

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited June 2018
    As much as I love a good price, I haven't had great experiences buying these sorts of products. I can't speak for clothes, but I used to get a lot of fake/budget electronic stuff (phones, controllers, chargers, etc) and always seemed to regret it after because the build quality was naff and they never lasted long before deteriorating/breaking. Diving straight for the bargains is something I've learned to avoid doing!

There are also times when more spend = higher quality, in my experience. I wouldn't say it's the case for everything by any means, but with earphones and speakers for example, I've always found that a higher price tag means better sound and build quality. Maybe aside from some less reputable brands like Skullcandy.

I can see clothes being okay for this kind of thing, but I've always been a massive cheapskate when it comes to clothes shopping anyway. :wink:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Mandy!x

I love knock-offs, but you have to careful when you buy them. High-quality fakes are great, low-quality fakes not so much! You also need to be careful that they do look good enough to pass off as real - being clocked as having fake items, especially if people know you have the money to buy the real deal, can be embarrassing! 

However, spending a little more money for the real deal is usually best since it will be better quality and last much longer. It all depends on how cheap you can get the knock-off for!x

To be honest, some branded £100 shirts are just £5 Primark shirts with a logo attached to it, so it may even be better to skip the branded items (real or fake) and go for something cheap and simple instead!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey again @Azziman

It's cheap clothes I buy for us, but I'd never buy watches. About 2 years ago from some birthday money and Christmas money I paid €180 for a Casio ProTrek bought in Sardinia in a nice shop registered to sell Casio etc and it's done me well. Lightweight, never needs a battery and even has barometric thingy on it. I like buying cheap bags from our town markets. They are good quality and I know the trader.  He's from Tunisia and comes over with his family selling even carpets. Otherwise we buy fruit and veg from Mallorcan locals. I just won't spend money on fake goods with name on like Fossil. It's clearly not and some of it is badly made anyway.

When last in the UK I bought a Fossil canvas and leather satchel. It looks great as the attachment shows (if it's permitted on the forum, otherwise please delete the attachment).

Now THAT is quality! =)
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Ive never looked into buying knock offs clothes. Though i agree with Mike. The amount of cheap chargers ive brought that last a few days - after about the 10th one i thought being cheapskate is probably costing me more money. Lol

but as for clothes i dont think id ever buy a knock of one. And would much prefer spending more money for peice of mind knowing it isnt fake even if it would look okay.  Not that im snobby or anything :wink: 🙃 but just nice to be kind to self sometimes and buy branded or designer stuff 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @Azziman one of our guests wore a handsome shirt by M&S which he said was identical to Pierre Balmain's couture except for no label. M&S make good shirts, he's was tailored and cost him £45. For a near-designer shirt, that was a very good price.And I like the pale pink. :)