Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anxiety attack

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
Tonight I've just had one of the biggest anxiety attacks and for a very long time. It fell on me out of nowhere, came down like a curtain and I felt so horrible I doubled up feeling sick. Sophie picked up on my feelings, gave me a glass of milk. Said its good for the nerves. She's a blessing. She said "No pretends now. We'll get through this together. Let's be brave together."

Since my breakup everything had been going well. Probably a bit too well. Has anyone had a sudden attack of anxiety? What do you do to to combat it?

Comments

• AlyKatAlyKat Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Floxy, I have these where they seem to pop out of nowhere. I and my therapist have attributed them happening to stress that is going on. Like if I have an exam coming up or a project due soon for my online school it can pop up. Those are the times where I just have to take a step or two or maybe even three back and take deep breathes, have a long talk with my mom, meditate and process the whole thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    AlyKat wrote: »
    Floxy, I have these where they seem to pop out of nowhere. I and my therapist have attributed them happening to stress that is going on. Like if I have an exam coming up or a project due soon for my online school it can pop up. Those are the times where I just have to take a step or two or maybe even three back and take deep breathes, have a long talk with my mom, meditate and process the whole thing.

Hello @AlyKat

I'm glad you have a therapist who is being helpful. I haven't got along too well with therapists in the past, but have had a good client-relationship with a counsellor lady who helped me come to terms with abuse that I suffered when much younger. Presently I am feeling since last night, a kind lady and her friend who are staying with us, helped me deal with that anxiety attack in which they gave me help in controlling my breathing.

Thank you for your help. :)
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Floxy,

Sorry to hear that! With sudden anxiety attacks, it's difficult to handle yourself in the moment, but you need to do your best to settle yourself. Sitting down, taking deep breaths and having a phone number to contact can work wonders in the moment. Now that you've had one, you can prepare yourself in case it happens againx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hi Floxy,

Sorry to hear that! With sudden anxiety attacks, it's difficult to handle yourself in the moment, but you need to do your best to settle yourself. Sitting down, taking deep breaths and having a phone number to contact can work wonders in the moment. Now that you've had one, you can prepare yourself in case it happens againx

Much love <3

Thank you for the support. :)

I've started handling the anxiety which one of my friends at home says the same. I have yet to properly settle though it's so lovely in Mallorca and full residency was permitted for Sophie and I. Took some breathing tips today and this evening. Then sunny weather is helping, making me feel better. I'm eating well and drinking lots of milk, its calcium is good for the nerves.

I already have my BFF's phone number in case things go bad. Not looking forward to the big thunderstorms forecasted for Sunday and Monday though.
  • PuffinEthicsPuffinEthics Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    Hi @Floxy ,

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with anxiety attacks.
    I had a really horrible one recently at a gig. I went with a friend, and loads of his friends were there and I hadn't had very good sleep for a while, I felt too tired to go but I'd promised I would. There were so many people and it was all just to much. I had to leave without saying anything which made it so much worse. I just went and sat down at home with a friend and just tried to explain how I was feeling, I had a cup of camomile tea, and a glass of water and listened to a Harry Potter audiobook because I used to listen to them when I was a kid so they really chill me out. But its very hard to get control of the feelings isn't it?

Over the years of having anxiety I've found for me, that I mostly get stressed about how anxious and weird I feel and at the end of the attack I'm just stressing out about the feeling of anxiety and nothing else. I just I have to go somewhere I feel safe, and do something relaxing, and tell myself its okay not to feel okay.

I found the whole process of making tea, and drinking it kind of helps because I have to think about making the tea but it's not too difficult and then you have to drink it kind of slow because it's hot? I don't know if that makes much sense but a simple task like that just slows down my whole thought process.

It's lovely that your friend is so supportive, thats a really valuable thing to have. Being open with friends about it, is really great too, so good on you!

Have you just moved to Mallorca? Lots of change for you at the moment I guess?
    How are you feeling now?

Thanks for sharing, we're here to listen

Puffin Ethics :rainbow2:
    Hi @Floxy ,

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with anxiety attacks.
    I had a really horrible one recently at a gig. I went with a friend, and loads of his friends were there and I hadn't had very good sleep for a while, I felt too tired to go but I'd promised I would. There were so many people and it was all just to much. I had to leave without saying anything which made it so much worse. I just went and sat down at home with a friend and just tried to explain how I was feeling, I had a cup of camomile tea, and a glass of water and listened to a Harry Potter audiobook because I used to listen to them when I was a kid so they really chill me out. But its very hard to get control of the feelings isn't it?

Over the years of having anxiety I've found for me, that I mostly get stressed about how anxious and weird I feel and at the end of the attack I'm just stressing out about the feeling of anxiety and nothing else. I just I have to go somewhere I feel safe, and do something relaxing, and tell myself its okay not to feel okay.

I found the whole process of making tea, and drinking it kind of helps because I have to think about making the tea but it's not too difficult and then you have to drink it kind of slow because it's hot? I don't know if that makes much sense but a simple task like that just slows down my whole thought process.

It's lovely that your friend is so supportive, thats a really valuable thing to have. Being open with friends about it, is really great too, so good on you!

Have you just moved to Mallorca? Lots of change for you at the moment I guess?
    How are you feeling now?

Thanks for sharing, we're here to listen

Puffin Ethics :rainbow2:

Hey @PuffinEthics that's a really lovely pep talk what I so appreciate, specially this evening.

It's either dusk or dawn when anxiety hits. Stage nerves are something else, a different beast. Minutes before going on stage the air fairly crackles with vibes in the air from what could be from hundreds to thousands in the crowd chanting for us to come on stage. It's only when the spotlights rove across the crowd that I get to see how many BUT - I'll be playing my sax by then, or a guitar and when the band will be in full swing the anxiety flees. I'm in my element by then and loving it.

I was taught breathing exercises to get the anxiety down, mornings and evenings. But I know what you mean when being among a crowd and feeling squashed in and panicky. That's why I always carry a small paper bag to place over my mouth to breathe in to and out of, getting the carbon dioxide down into my lungs, and that helps lower the panic. Never use a plastic bag. Always a paper one. I carry one in my rucsack and folded one in my jeans or leather jacket which I almost live in. Learnt never to be without a paper bag, cos it really does help. Like at a supermarket years ago. Since the break up of my relationship did the anxiety return and feel worse.

My doctor prescribed me a med that though can be highly addictive, totally trusts me to only use it when really necessary. (It's a mild benzo.d if that's allowed in the forum guidelines.) I keep track of taking it in my notebook. I like tea and if it's a nice brew such as a Yunnan from China or a good Assam, it will taste wonderful when sipped tepid or even chilled. Love making tea, but I have to have a Rich Tea biscuit. Quality teas don't need be brewed to produce lots of tannin, but the good ones have a creaminess so you don't need milk. It helps settle my tum, nice and comforting. After a stressful day like today lugging back my gear from Palma airport, I'm sitting out on the patio with a pint of tea. Can't beat it for lowering the stress.

Been coming to Mallorca for years now, but last year I applied for full residency and my 12 year old I'm junior guardian also has residential rights now like me. I speak Spanish like though young Sophie is great at the language, I could brush up more on it though my French is lousy. Recently I bought an old finca, a Spanish farmhouse and moved in. Its got garden of palm trees, tamarisk and Mediterranean shrubs all the way down to the beach. My neighbours look out for me, dear old lady leaves us baskets of eggs, lemon curd, homemade bread and fruit. Now I am single and staying unattached, it's tough and yet it's exciting you know? My best friend Ines is so kind. She and her husband have a daughter same age as Sophie, so my girl doesn't feel so lonely and she home schools with them, too. Everyone in this tourist town say hello to me, and best of all next month is not only birthday, but since leaving the band I got a new music contract for lunchtime sessions at a restaurant, and that is going to help chase the anxiety away.

Thank you for helping me. So appreciated. :)

Mandy