Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you love your mobile phone?

MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
Am I in the minority, or do you hate your mobile phone, too?

Okay, so my iPhone's been great for navigating my way through narrow alleyways in Venice earlier today, when I didn't have space for a map lest I stumbled into somebody, or for walking in unfamiliar territory. And I like knowing that I have a line of communication with someone if I should be stranded somewhere because I don't like getting lost.

I see smart phones, not to mention things like Facebook, Myspace, etc., as a vehicle that people use to seek attention, and to be even more attached to a meaningless social life. Plenty of people that I know seem to have forgotten how to make conversation - the minute someone else is talking they turn directly to their phones and everything said seems to fly right over their heads. I see the same people updating their Facebook, Twitter, taking pictures of themselves, mindlessly screwing around on their phones while remaining completely ignorant of life around them. If the pavement suddenly opened up to a sink hole they'd fall headlong into it. :d

Also, I’ve noticed that phones influence our social skills and ability to have good conversations. Often when people don’t know what to say anymore, they avoid awkward silences by just whipping out their phones and staring at their screens. How pathetic! It’s just a form of ‘hiding’ from society. Instead of paying attention to what’s around them or having a chat with someone, people desperately avoid any social interaction nowadays. Are their balls numb? Highly likely.

I intensely dislike when somebody is using their phone in my presence, so I don’t do it to. I don’t text unless it is something really important. The thing that bothers me that people are essentially ignoring you to simply go on Facebook and look at pictures of cats and the likes. Except I like to sit at a caff and people watch, in a non weird way I like seeing people going about their business, but almost everyone walks around with their heads down looking at their bloody phone. I dumped a boyfriend for doing that too often, I told him enough times to stop it. His reaction? "Go have a buttfuck weekend." "Yeah and the same to you, dimwit!" I retorted.

What bothers me even more is seeing 7 year olds with iPhones and iPads. When I was 7, I played Poohsticks and carried my teddy bear around with me. And that's perfectly fine because children at that age can find interest even in the smallest things. And that’s important! That way they can maintain their curiosity, imagination and train their physical abilities.

Phones are evil. They dominate our lives and most don’t even realize it. So - does your's?

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Ironically we were talking about this very subject the other day... particularly the children with phones and tablets thing. Can’t remember who I was talking to about it though.

Even when I was little (seriously it wasn’t that long ago, 10 years) most of the tablets and smartphones around today didn’t even exist. I didn’t even get my hands on an iPhone (which wasn’t mine btw) until I was 9 and a half. Although I got my first one atthe age of 10, it was purely so I could commumicate with my parents as and when.

The other thing that really annoys me? Phones at the dinner table. My sister is 20 and has been constantly glued to her phone since she was about 11, and even when we’re sitting round a table she’s still scrolling through her snapchat.

And people who use their phones to put their entire lives on Facebook. I hardly even use facebook anymore lol.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    This is really interesting... would you guys feel the same if someone was reading a book or a newspaper in a social situation? Or is it phones in particular that bug you? :chin:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Mike wrote: »
    This is really interesting... would you guys feel the same if someone was reading a book or a newspaper in a social situation? Or is it phones in particular that bug you? :chin:

No, not just phones.. I'd be just as annoyed. If I was having a conversation and one of the group took out a book, mag or newspaper to read, then that would be most unsociable. There are times and places to read, but not in a group where having conversation is the norm.
  • Options
    FranFran Posts: 118 The Mix Convert
    Mike wrote: »

Hey everyone!!

I feel annoyed when people use their phone while we are in a restaurant, pub or just spending some time together and I feel the same when it happens that someone starts reading. I feel like it's some kind of rudeness as it gives this message "I'm bored, so I'd rather do something else / be anywhere else".
    This is obviously a general comment, as I am the first who sends a text when I have to, but I think that there are some situations when using the phone while being with other people really gives a bad message.

When I am annoyed because someone Is using the phone I willingly don't use that, hoping that my annoyance is noticed.

I believe it would be hard to live without phones right now as they are really useful, but they cause some troubles, too! The automatic correction of words, for example, makes it harder to remember how to properly spell a word. In addition, phones can be a shield to hide behind, too, as a lot of face to face talk are easily replaced by text chats, ignoring the fact that the latter makes the exchange way poorer than a real one.

- Fran
  • Options
    TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I so sometimes feel like I am too dependent on my phone. There are times where I seem to be unable to focus on one thing at a time, and end up doing things like watching TV and playing games at the same time.

I think that I mostly am able to balance things out fairly well. I use my phone to keep up long-distance relationships and to stay informed of events and stuff at uni. I use social media and have some games, but mostly I use my phone to keep track of things and to contact people. However, I still take regular breaks from it and don't look at it when I'm talking to someone face-to-face.

I wouldn't say that I love my phone, but I do think that my life would be more difficult without it, especially as my university requires people to check-in to lectures using an app, and it is also needed for time-tabling. I also have to have Facebook to avoid missing out on events with the societies I'm a part of. However, I also find that it makes things more difficult sometimes as I start to feel overwhelmed if I'm having a hard time and multiple people are messaging me at once about different things.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I hate my phone but it's a necessity for work. I'm old enough to rememeber life before mobile phones and it was great.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I hate my phone but it's a necessity for work. I'm old enough to rememeber life before mobile phones and it was great.

Last weekend my aunt Fiona said exactly the same. These smart phones are awful, but a necessity. Thank you and everyone for posting your thoughts.

~Belle
  • Options
    L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Yes apart from Unknown numbers calling you.
  • Options
    L100 wrote: »
    Yes apart from Unknown numbers calling you.
    I have that problem. I normally google them before answering, but sometimes the numbers and private and I worry that I'll miss something important if I don't answer them.
  • Options
    L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    I have that problem. I normally google them before answering, but sometimes the numbers and private and I worry that I'll miss something important if I don't answer them.
    I just ignore them because if it's someone trying to get hold of you they would ussually leave a voicemail. If i ever got a voicemail from unknown number depending on the voicemail i would call them back if not i just leave it.
  • Options
    L100 wrote: »
    I just ignore them because if it's someone trying to get hold of you they would ussually leave a voicemail. If i ever got a voicemail from unknown number depending on the voicemail i would call them back if not i just leave it.
    That's a good point. I just worry because the only calls I remember getting from private numbers have been things like job interviews, work experience placements, or counselling services.