Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Studying while depressed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, I'm attempting and failing to study for my prelims having just started meds for depression. I'm really struggling to actually sit down and work as I can't concentrate for very long at all. Any advice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,617 Legendary Poster
    Hey,

I don't have any advice for you, but apart from the medication I am exactly the same as you. I have Nat 5 prelims coming up and I'm struggling with studying too for partly this reason.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    RachelRachel Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Hey,

I am also really struggling with my prelims at the moment due to anxiety, so I don't regard myself as the best person to be dishing out advice. Regardless, I hope that you're doing well and that things work out for you and your prelims.

I myself try and join friends to study when it becomes difficult to focus on studying, which I know may sound distracting, but with the right people it can be really motivational and super helpful when you don't know an answer! After school study sessions also help me sometimes as just being in the school environment gets my head in a better place for studying.

I hope this was somewhat helpful and wish you all the best for your prelims!

Rachel xx
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hi there,

Have you spoken to your teachers about this? You'll find that teachers are actually very considerate when it comes to this kind of complication. Talk to them about what would help you learn better, and they will be happy to listen and help out!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @LotusLilly

When I was studying I found it extremely difficult to concentrate too, my technique was to get a load of different coloured pens and highlighters, write down anything I needed to remember/anything interesting to me, all in different colours corresponding to subject/topic etc and put them on the wall. I couldn't listen to music or spend time with others as I was too distracted... This seems a little odd but I put headphones in and this is what got me to concentrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAfg_Iy7n8

Hope you find a technique that works for you!!

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend