Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Staff Pregnancy- triggered upsetting thoughts

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
So from a recent post done back in may you may have seen that I yet again I got pregnant without it being planned due to being raped. anyway I made the decision on the 18th of July to have an abortion as I didn't feel I could look after the child as a single mum and I didn't want it being put into care like I did!

Anyway today at work a member of the staff announced they are 12wks pregnant and I worked out that if I kept the child then I would be 12wks as well and this made me feel emotions but I didn't show it because she was obviously happy. I don't know what to do because I feel happy for her but at the same time it has triggered upsetting things for me x

Any advice would be much appreciated x

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,030 Boards Guru
    Hey Laura,

I'm really sorry to hear the news of your colleague's pregnancy made you feel this way. It's understandable that this news would bring up your own experience and emotions at the same time. How are you feeling about everything today?

For many people who've experienced an abortion, it's not easy and what can help is to take some time for yourself to process how you're feeling and find a way to deal with these feelings in a way that's best for you. You don't have to go through this alone, there's a range of support services out there to who can help you through how you're feeling. Brook can help at any stage, no matter how long ago you had the abortion and they have post-abortion counsellors that you can talk to.

There's an article on The Mix website that you might find helpful to read through about dealing with an abortion. You can find it here. Here's a bit of info from the article:
    How will I feel after I have an abortion?

No one can predict how you’re going to feel after an abortion. While the majority of women say they feel relieved after terminating a pregnancy, it’s also possible you might feel sad, guilty or confused. These are very common feelings – not because abortion is wrong, but because having an abortion can sometimes be a difficult decision to make.

However you’re feeling, the most important thing to remember is that you don’t have to go through this alone. Abortion is a common procedure in the UK, where one in three women will have an abortion by the time they’re 45. Thousands of women have experienced the same emotions you’re feeling. If you’re down, there are places you can go for help.

Do you feel there's anyone close to you that you can talk to about how you're feeling or someone at work?

Remember to give yourself time and space, we all cope in different ways and at different times and that's okay :).

Stay strong *hug*

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Hi Afie. Thanks for the reply. It's annoying that I have felt this way after the colleague announced the pregnancy and too be honest I'm normally fine with people being pregnant I just think it's tough because the timing would have been exactly the same for me if I was to keep the child. Not feeling much better right now too be honest. I'm feeling emotional about stuff but I don't feel I can speak to anyone especially as one of the staff is the one that caused me to be emotional cause of the pregnancy but that's not her fault.thanks for saying I don't have to go through it alone, I will take a look at some of the links to help! I might speak to my auntie about how I'm feeling but don't really want to talk to someone at work cause I don't want the sympathy but at the same time it is hard!! I will try and give me some space but it's hard at times. I'm trying to stay strong!