Why always so many guests online?

independent_independent_ Boards BabyScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
Silly question but like where it says who's online it's like 20 members and like 748 guests (random number). Why so many 😂😂

Comments

  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    I don't usually say like that often
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,766 Part of the furniture
    They're like non members viewing topics. Presumably brought here from like search engines and stuff :)
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    i always think that too and also i say like the same amount lol

    ha😂
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    Skive wrote: »
    They're like non members viewing topics. Presumably brought here from like search engines and stuff :)

    ah that's interesting. Thanks.
  • LaineLaine Posts: 171 The Mix convert
    It's the same on another forum i use, they're probably people who searched something up and came across a certain thread, you'll be surprised how many people search websites without signing up x

    🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,766 Part of the furniture
    @The Mix Do you have any stats as to when the most members online was as opposed to total users?
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    The Mix wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

    Just to add to what's already been said (thanks [USER="2712"]Skive[/USER]!), lots of those guests will be people reading threads they've found from Google.
    Believe it or not, the most viewed thread ever is [URL="http://vbulletin.thesite.org/forum/thesite-topics/health-wellbeing/food-drink/114245-cantonese-style-sweet-and-sour"]Cantonese style sweet and sour?[/URL] - around 28,000 people have read that thread in the last couple of years! (and almost all of them on Saturday evenings!) :crazyeyes

    Some of those guests will also be bots - software used by search engines like Google to index websites.

    - James

    Thank you for this James! Ha that thread now has another view!
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    Skive wrote: »
    [USER="95867"]The Mix[/USER] Do you have any stats as to when the most members online was as opposed to total users?

    I would love to know this too!!
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    The Mix wrote: »

    Great question.
    It's a little tricky to extract reliable stats from the boards software. For example, it's telling us that the most users ever online on one day was the 31st of Jan 2017, with 590 registered users online. To be honest, that doesn't seem right, particularly when compared to the average day this year. Apart from that blip, the stats tell us that the most users online at once was back in March 2005: 377 people online (but the stats don't go back further than that).

    James

    That's cool! Wow, 377 registered users online on here when I was only a few years old (wow) now I feel like the youngest person on here!
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,766 Part of the furniture
    The Mix wrote: »
    the stats tell us that the most users online at once was back in March 2005: 377 people online (but the stats don't go back further than that).

    James

    Cool. That did seem to be the busiest period around here. Is that users or members?
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,766 Part of the furniture

    That's cool! Wow, 377 registered users online on here when I was only a few years old (wow) now I feel like the youngest person on here!


    This place used to look very different

    http://web.archive.org/web/20001206084100/www.thesite.org/cgi-noperl/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
  • MikeMike Posts: 1,065 Moderator
    Skive wrote: »

    Oh my gosh, I forgot this was a thing! That hurts slightly to look at now though. :crazyeyes
    < 3
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    Skive wrote: »

    Oh wow! Now that is cool!!
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,766 Part of the furniture
    Mike wrote: »

    Oh my gosh, I forgot this was a thing! That hurts slightly to look at now though. :crazyeyes


    I once asked if we could have a theme that reflected what the boards used to look like so the the 'Skiver' theme was made. :)
    In about 2002 the boards went very orange (apart from the clubbing forum which went green for some reason) and we still have a theme to represent that called 'old skool'
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    Skive wrote: »


    I once asked if we could have a theme that reflected what the boards used to look like so the the 'Skiver' theme was made. :)
    In about 2002 the boards went very orange (apart from the clubbing forum which went green for some reason) and we still have a theme to represent that called 'old skool'

    Wow!! 2002? Definitely old school for me hahaha. From this I've learned something - if you want to know anything about the history of the site... ask @Skive - who's been here for 16 years.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,766 Part of the furniture

    Wow!! 2002? Definitely old school for me hahaha. From this I've learned something - if you want to know anything about the history of the site... ask @Skive - who's been here for 16 years.



    Honestly you could write a book about some of the stuff that's happened here. We used sit around drinking chatting crap till the early hours. There were half naked photos, massive arguments, plenty of flirting. There were regular meets. Some posters have gone to prison , some married each other and had babies, a couple of posters unfortunately passed away. Was a proper busy little community.
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    Skive wrote: »


    Honestly you could write a book about some of the stuff that's happened here. We used sit around drinking chatting crap till the early hours. There were half naked photos, massive arguments, plenty of flirting. There were regular meets. Some posters have gone to prison , some married each other and had babies, a couple of posters unfortunately passed away. Was a proper busy little community.

    Argh, how didn't I see this.. It seems much quieter now? Still an amazing community though!
  • emilyjohnemilyjohn Fast Newbie Posts: 23
    Yeah this is interesting question, some of those guests will also be bots - software used by search engines like Google to index websites.
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,049 Fanatical Poster
    emilyjohn wrote: »
    Yeah this is interesting question, some of those guests will also be bots - software used by search engines like Google to index websites.

    yup definitely
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,769,851 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bots without doubt. Pesky little things. Pity we can't pot-shot at 'em! :p
Sign In or Register to comment.