Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Section 21 at end of AST. Do I need to give 1 month notice?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice on how Section 21 notices work. I've been living in the same place for many years now, renting through an agent. I usually sign a 12-month contract to live here and inevitably at the 10-month mark every time I am issued with a Section 21 notice and hounded by the agents asking if I would like to renew for another 6 months.

I'm approaching the 10-month mark again now but this time I am actually planning to be gone by the end of the 12 months fixed term. What I want to know is, once I have been issued with a section 21 notice, do I still have to give my 1-month notice to leave? I've seen it discussed on various other forums but nobody ever seems to reach a conclusion.

Ideally, I want to avoid having to have the agents over showing people around every 2 minutes while I'm trying to pack my life up ready to go so if I do have to give the 1-month notice I'll leave it until the final day that I can issue it before I do.

From what I understand a section 21 notice is just the period *after* which the landlord can apply for an eviction notice so I think I do have to give the 1-month notice. I know the agents will be calling me every day asking for a decision so I just want to know what my rights are here and what's the best course of action for me.

I would be happy to leave a couple of weeks before the end of the section 21 notice expiry but from what I understand I would still have to pay the whole month's rent so I'll stick around and try and make my moving dates line up.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,309 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Matteh - nice to see old school users returning!

Some folks here might have some experience with this stuff, but in the meantime I'd recommend heading to Citizens Advice if you haven't already. They can provide free expert advice around this kinda thing, so they probably have a bit more to offer than we do.

Apologies that I couldn't be of more help, but do let us know how you get on. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.