Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Spam flood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
The forums have been bombarded with a great deal of spam this month. I've reported spam posts every day lately - some of them are there for hours before they're removed.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Sometimes we may not get the reports right away to delete the spam posts. I normally delete right as soon as I get the report. But sometimes that is later than when it was reported. Just how it goes.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How many mods are there?
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    A lot isn't a number.

If they worked at different times, they could cover all hours of all days.

You've been hostile to me in every post - what's your problem with me? I asked you an extremely relevant and extremely useful question to try to help you, but all you've done is bite my head off.
    The mods have lives to live as well. Im just a volunteer so I volunteer my own time to delete spam posts and its not something I can do 24.7..
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    17 new spamming threads during the last 2 hours!

If most of them are bots, should new accounts be made to enter CAPTCHA letters in order to prevent bots creating accounts and posting?
    I deleted quite a few spam posts this morning. I'm keeping an eye on the boards today so I can delete spam straight away.

I think the mods are trying to sort it out so there wont be as much spam, but it's not gonna happen over night.

I don't really understand your issue, it gets reported and then gets removed.
    Robert wrote: »
    A lot isn't a number.

If they worked at different times, they could cover all hours of all days.

You've been hostile to me in every post - what's your problem with me? I asked you an extremely relevant and extremely useful question to try to help you, but all you've done is bite my head off.

I think you're being quite rude. Like you should be grateful we even have the boards to come to. Without the time and effort the mods and volunteers put in, the mix wouldn't exist. This is the only support that a lot of people get. Maybe you should think about that before you go off on a rant.
    You could easily ignore the spam because it will be deleted at some point - it's not a direct issue towards you. Although good on you for reporting it
    If that doesn't stop them, you could try requiring new accounts to enter CAPTCHA letters before each of their first ten posts on the forums.
    I noticed that a high proportion of the spam appeared to be from Russia and Belarus and that a lot of the posts were written in what I think was Russian. I don't know if you can block posts that are written in Russian. I don't know about the technical side, as I've never operated a website. I also don't know why spammers have chosen to bombard the forums in recent weeks.