Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"Vulnerable" vs "at risk"

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
Hi. So on my corse i do in college i got told that we shouldnt be using the word vulnerable when talking about things like sexual exploitation. I completely agree with this.
Ive used services where they are still using this word. It makes you think that they are partly to blame for the horrible things that have happened just because they take advantage of you. I think it helps victum blaming. But i think saying youre "at risk" put more blame on the abuser, which is how it should be.

Because lets say someone with a mental illness is vulnerable to sexual abuse, it makes them seem like they have some blame for being ill. But jut makes them more at risk of abuse.
I dont know how else to explain this better but it makes complete sense to me. But places are still using vulnerable. Does anyone else agree with this? Or disagree?
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    I don't really understand
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    This is the definition of at vulnerable..

exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally.
    "we were in a vulnerable position"
    synonyms: in danger, in peril, in jeopardy, at risk, endangered, unsafe, unprotected, ill-protected, unguarded; More
    (of a person) in need of special care, support, or protection because of age, disability, or risk of abuse or neglect.

People say I am vulnerable.

This is the definition of at risk..

exposed to harm or danger.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hi. Sorry i didnt make this clear but the word vulnerable sounds like its their fault. I know the definition says something else. People who use services think that the words make them to partly blame. And i got told that services will be using at risk instead now. And i cant use the word in my assisgments
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley