Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feel guilty about eating meat?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
It's not all the time but every now and then i feel very guilty and upset about eating meat. I would like to say it was as simple as saying I wont eat it again but I don't eat alot of other foods to make up for my diet. I am really fussy with my food and don't eat alot of beg at all.

It's not a constant feeling of guilt but when it comes on I keep thinking.

That was an animals life, baby, parent ect.
I know it's how humans have evolved but.......

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I totally understand :)

Would reducing the amount of meat you eat or changing the quality of meat you eat (e.g. free range from local sources etc) help you feel less guilty? There are lots of ways to unpick these thoughts without having to give up meat (unless you want to!)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey I'm Bobby,

​I totally understand - I'm going veggie for 2017, trying it out for a year to see how I feel about living without meat, whether it makes me happier etc. Meat substitutes seem to be the way to go to potentially put minds at rest :heart:
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi guys sorry for no reply. I feel one of the problems is a friend of mine is vegan, be he is constantly putting images and videos and stuff on that basically shames meat eaters.

Like I say I am very fussy with food and don't eat much veg (I'm trying to get better at this tho) I feel fine at the moment and I just don't understand why it comes on all of a sudden and then just goes.

I do like to make sure that my meat products have come from somwhere that I know have looked after the animals. Just feels bit sad sometimes
  • Options
    PositiveAuraPositiveAura Posts: 150 Helping Hand
    Hi @One-in-a-million :wave:

I've only just seen this post and I wanted to see how you were? Food can be a confusing thing so I just wanted to ease your mind, if I could.

​Everyone has their own battle with food and being conscious of where it is coming from is a good thing. You sound like a really compassionate person who wants to feed your body with good things that are coming from good places. The world can be horrible and it's hard to see that. It sounds like you have seen a few things that have unsettled your mind.

​Now, I am a Vegan and I know that some people can be quite judgemental. All I say is ignore them. People change what they eat constantly, we are all different and learning everyday. So you are on your own little path, not theirs. A lot of this is because some people read and learn so much it shocks them, and they want to show and tell the world. I wouldn't say that your friend means to shame you personally at all.

​I have been everything, so there is no judgement here at all. I have gone from being quite an unhealthy kid, to a meat-eater personal trainer as a teen, to veggie and now I have been Vegan for quite some time. You don't have to fit into 1 box right now, you can explore and find what is right for you. I have been judged for ALL of these things by different people. You can't run away from it unfortunately. But now I am the happiest and healthiest so what other people say doesn't matter. If your mental health is being effected by what you eat, just explore why that is and what options there are out there for you.

​Personally, I just read a lot and followed my gut. It is a big change and it takes time but find what feels right for you at the moment and take it from there.

​I have to say that there are so many meatless alternatives out there. Of course you have the meatless versions of meat. But theres also a lot of options like beans, lentils and chickpeas. As for veggies, there are some simple things you can do to add them into your meals if you don't like them! Courgetti spaghetti, cauliflower rice, carrot and parsnip wedges....stuff like that! There's loads out there, maybe look at some of that and see if you need meat in your life still?

​Hope some of this helps, I'm here to chat if you are still feeling uneasy!

-PositiveAura:rainbow2:

• Options
    MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Hello @One-in-a-million :)

What is most important is that you should feel comfortable eating what you fancy, though getting the best nutrition is most important. Try and find a happy balance rather than fret about meat, or listen to those who hold an overly critical point of view and make you feel guilty. Our friends should never judge us for what we eat, and should they continue in that vein of opinion, then they are really no friends at all.

The great enjoyment about eating is that you can enjoy a perfectly diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit with some also choosing to include dairy products, including cheese (made using vegetable rennet) and eggs, even a lovely chickpea and sweet potato stew - yet - enjoy the occasional meal containing meat. The celebrity chef Jamie Oliver insists all his recipes contain meat appertaining to 'higher welfare'. For example, animals who enjoy a free-range existence such as chickens or geese, but avoid meat from animals housed permanently indoors rather than feed on lush green pasture as they would normally if in the wild. Knowing this for buying meat from a trusted supplier, I can easily eat without conscience, but also respect those who prefer to live as vegetarians or vegans.

If you fancy a change, eg. going veggie, then have a look at some interesting recipes I've posted in Travel & Free Time forum. Or have a look at some of the weekday munchies I've also posted up. Might fire your interest.

Have a super weekend, and wishing you all the best,

-Belle

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hi guys sorry for no reply. I feel one of the problems is a friend of mine is vegan, be he is constantly putting images and videos and stuff on that basically shames meat eaters.

Like I say I am very fussy with food and don't eat much veg (I'm trying to get better at this tho) I feel fine at the moment and I just don't understand why it comes on all of a sudden and then just goes.

I do like to make sure that my meat products have come from somwhere that I know have looked after the animals. Just feels bit sad sometimes

​Hi @One-in-a-million,

Sorry to hear how you feel - it's not a pleasant feeling to have hanging over you all the time. As a vegetarian, I believe that it's not right to kill and eat animals, but that's simply my belief. People will often try to preach their beliefs, because it gives them an esteem boost to have their view validated, but that is their belief. Whatever you want to do is up to you - don't let one person's word cause you trouble. If you want to eat meat, then do it - don't let them stop you!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Locking topic since it is from the end of 2016, just over a year old. If theres still an issue please open a new topic.

Remember to check how old a topic is before posting in it. :yippe:
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
This discussion has been closed.