Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The US Presidential Election

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
The results are in and Trump has won.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Donald Trump's message grabbed the American public (by their hearts & minds, rather than by the pussy). They think he's the best candidate to reduce crime, poverty, unemployment etc. Stemming the mass influx of illegal immigration and drug smuggling from Mexico as well as preventing the types of terror attacks that Europe has suffered recently are things that Trump is dedicated to.

Trump is likeable and naturally good at public speaking. Hillary Clinton is angry, bitter, nasty and patronising.

Clinton is a career politician, part of the establishment, who has benefited from being married to a former President. Trump is a businessman who has entered politics late in life; he's therefore seen as one of the people rather than part of the establishment.

As with the UK when polls often underestimate the Conservative vote, many right-wing people keep their voting intentions quiet. Many Trump supporters and voters didn't say they were backing him because many other people would have branded them racist, sexist etc.
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Trump is a fucking twat.
  • Options
    Would you like to specify why you feel that way about him?
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    I bloody hate him! - hes an orange looking animal who is heavily sexist, racist, sees women as just objects alongside many other things, i am very very very worried for America right now.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    Wanting to tackle illegal immigration isn't racist - it's common sense. There are millions of illegal immigrants in the US - more than in any other country in the world.

Millions of women voted for him, so they clearly prefer him over Hillary Clinton.
  • Options
    Steve_ wrote: »
    Wanting to tackle illegal immigration isn't racist - it's common sense. There are millions of illegal immigrants in the US - more than in any other country in the world.

Millions of women voted for him, so they clearly prefer him over Hillary Clinton.

No one can change my mind - hes a fucking bastard!!!

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    Would you like to specify why you feel that way about him?

He's on trial in december for child rape.. So y'know he's a bit of a cunt. Also, He's anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion (thinks women should be punished for getting one and wants to make it illegal) and also wants to fund gay conversion therapy.
    Also, yes females voted for him (only 42% compared to Clintons 54%) so yeah millions may have voted, but MORE women voted clinton.
    Also, 53% of people who voted trump were 65+ because they're still stuck in the past and their shitty mindset (they're gonna die out soon and not be affected by this what so ever) But those people's votes who really matter, the younger generation 55% voted for Clinton over trump.
  • Options
    What makes you think he's going on trial next month?
  • Options
    What makes you think he's going on trial next month?

It's public knowledge, he's on trial for fraud and child rape. It's literally everywhere.

It starts on December 16th.
  • Options
    There was a court hearing scheduled for that date. However, the woman who said in April that Trump raped her in New York City in 1994 when she was 13 retracted her claim on 4 November. The case has therefore been dropped.
  • Options
    There was a court hearing scheduled for that date. However, the woman who said in April that Trump raped her in New York City in 1994 when she was 13 retracted her claim on 4 November. The case has therefore been dropped.

Doesn't change the fact that he was still accused of child rape, and rape as well as proudly admitting 'it's okay to grab a woman by the pussy' He's a piece of shit. Granted, Clinton isn't much better.
    Imo people who have criminal cases against them shouldn't be able to run for president
  • Options
    There have been a lot of allegations (many of them criminal) against both of them. In addition, there are a lot of sexual misconduct allegations against Bill Clinton - who's a major influence on Hillary.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Some part of me died yesterday. I can't comprehend how this even happened. Brexit all over again...
  • Options
    What exactly don't you understand about both events? The fact that the polls, journalists, bookmakers etc. were wrong? Why Americans want something done about illegal immigration, terrorism etc.? Why Britons want independence from a supranational organisation dictating to us and making laws for us that we don't want?
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Steve. Get a life and stop being such a twat.
  • Options
    louisa982 wrote: »
    Steve. Get a life and stop being such a fucking twat.

Yes Steve is being a tad annoying but that is a bit too harsh.

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    I'm here to seriously debate this topic. Name-calling isn't useful at all.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    What exactly don't you understand about both events? The fact that the polls, journalists, bookmakers etc. were wrong? Why Americans want something done about illegal immigration, terrorism etc.? Why Britons want independence from a supranational organisation dictating to us and making laws for us that we don't want?

Mainly because I want those laws.
    Because I am a European citizen, because I believe bringing us closer is what we need not wedging us further apart.

On Trump my objection is more to his person. He's an absolutely vile man with no regard for anyone who isn't a white male. That's why I'm so upset. Because the rights of women, religious minorities and Lgbt+ are in danger.
  • Options
    Most Britons don't want to be told what to do by politicians on the Continent. There are EU-wide laws which Westminster didn't vote for. We were never fully in Europe, as we didn't join Schengen or adopt the Euro - which many European politicians resented us for. Almost everyone wants us to have allegiances and good co-operation with neighbouring countries, but that doesn't require us to be part of the EU - which is moving ever closer to becoming a superstate. Switzerland and Norway have never been in the EU, which hasn't hindered them in being successful and having good relations with other European countries. The biggest effect of joining the EU has been the massive increase in immigration, which has kept wages down for unskilled and semi-skilled jobs. The biggest effect so far of our decision to leave the EU has been the massive fall in the value of the pound.

I don't think that America's new government will introduce laws against things such as abortion or homosexual sex, or bar all Muslims from entering the US. A lot of what Trump said was rhetoric and his personal opinion. He won't be changing America single-handed and he'll want to have good relations with other countries.
  • Options
    There have been a lot of allegations (many of them criminal) against both of them. In addition, there are a lot of sexual misconduct allegations against Bill Clinton - who's a major influence on Hillary.

Like I said, people who have criminal cases against them, or have criminal convictions should not be allowed to run for president.
  • Options
    It's the worse thing that could have happened. He is a disgusting man. He's a rapist, he's patronising, he's racist. He thinks he's the best thing in this world and he couldn't be more wrong. Brexit was bad, this is beyond bad though. Ain't no way he's going to do any good. He just wanted the power and now he has it, it's going to make him an even worse person and I think the world is absolutely fucked now - not just America.
  • Options
    The rape case against him has been dropped.

Wanting to deport illegal immigrants is common sense, not racism.

He is a narcissist, but so is Hillary Clinton.

He won't do anything to jeopardise America's position as the world's most powerful country. He has a large team of people working for him and he's a very successful businessman. He knows what he's doing.
  • Options
    The rape case against him has been dropped.

Wanting to deport illegal immigrants is common sense, not racism.

He is a narcissist, but so is Hillary Clinton.

He won't do anything to jeopardise America's position as the world's most powerful country. He has a large team of people working for him and he's a very successful businessman. He knows what he's doing.

Steve, Trump may be a successful business man but he has had NO experience in politics. He is one twisted and horrible guy - just watch the news, look at all the people rioting, that shows the real strength of american people. He even wants to get rid of obamacare which makes healthcare more affordable for those who are not fortunate enough to be able to afford it. TRUMP IS SHIT AND SHOULD BE KILLED, END OF CONVERSATION.

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    The fact that he isn't a career politician is one of the main reasons that he won the election. Hillary Clinton is considered to be part of the establishment.

Riots aren't strength - they're destructive criminality.
  • Options
    The fact that he isn't a career politician is one of the main reasons that he won the election. Hillary Clinton is considered to be part of the establishment.

Riots aren't strength - they're destructive criminality.

But at the end of the day DONALD TRUMP IS A HORRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    I feel like wishing death on someone is too extreme, they are a person after all.
    Also, he's not getting rid of obamacare, he's going to go through it and make changes but not completely get rid of it. A lot of the things we here on the news isn't true.
    However, he has got rape accusations piling up against him into double figures, which is awful and his general attitude towards women is awful.
    I know that both parties are evil, but the media has only shown us the worst of Trump
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    I was sad to hear that Trump won. After Brexit, I had hoped that America wouldn't vote in a similar way. It is quite scary to think that someone who is racist, homophobic and sexist is in charge of one of the wealthiest countries in the world. The other sad thing was that some Americans were saying that people should just get over it (worse that Boris Johnson said that too) because every election there are winners and losers. It's like they don't realise that this doesn't just affect America but the rest of the world too. I do see the appeal that he had- wanting to bring back jobs to America as big industrial areas like Detroit have completely fallen. But increasing import taxes is only going to make those who can't afford things worse off. And I also can't believe that he doesn't believe in climate change- he wants coal not solar power. It honestly does feel like the world is going backwards :(
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Trump hasn't said anything about a particular race. His problem with Mexicans is to do with criminality, not the fact that most of them are Mestizos.

He's not homophobic. Not wanting SSM doesn't amount to hatred.

Mike Pence's beliefs are more troubling than Trump's, but there's much less coverage of those.
  • Options
    Trump hasn't said anything about a particular race. His problem with Mexicans is to do with criminality, not the fact that most of them are Mestizos.

He's not homophobic. Not wanting SSM doesn't amount to hatred.

Mike Pence's beliefs are more troubling than Trump's, but there's much less coverage of those.

Yeah but he's assuming that ALL mexicans are criminal, which simply isn't true.
    What would his reason be for not wanting SSM if it isn't hatred may I ask? Just out of curiosity?
  • Options
    He's not. He's said that some are good people. There are millions of Mexican illegal immigrants in the US and there's a major problem with Mexican gangs smuggling drugs into the US. It's a huge problem that needs to be tackled.

Many people oppose SSM on religious grounds, due to it being pointless, unnecessary and making a mockery of marriage. Personally, I'm puzzled as to why there's a demand for it - marriage has been rapidly declining in popularity for over 40 years. In the UK, the number of marriages is about half what it was at its peak in 1972 - despite a large increase in the population since then. Most people don't marry, so why is it even an issue?

Many people don't think that single people should be allowed to adopt children. That doesn't mean that they hate single people. It's that they simply think that children should be given two parents.