Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Vodafone- do these charity numbers appear on phone bills?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi,

So my dad pays for my contract (with Vodafone) and I still want to contact a helpline in this list :

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/vftst004274.pdf

It says these numbers won't appear on phone bills (as well as are free). This link was here before the allcharity numbers (0800,0808) numbers became free to call (from mobile networks, they stopped charging).

However there is this helpline that was always free and said that they won't appear on phone bills, obviously it's still free but I worry it will appear on my phone bills (which my dad could see) now.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Probably best to ask the charity or Vodafone.

It may appear on the itemised list, but whether your dad will actually check through is a question (although I get where you're coming from on wanting to hide - maybe get a payg sim and call from that?)
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Thanks for your reply Kate.

I contacted vodafone via their online customer chat - well they didn't really understand what I was saying and then after they said all numbers appear on bills - which I know isn't true.

I asked the helpline advisor and they said I'd need to ask a supervisor as she isn't sure (but no supervisor was on at the time).

But the student health nurse at uni said she knows a contact at NHS24 (this helpline is linked to the NHS24 here) so she will ask her and let me know!

I already have a pay as you go sim for that reason- but problem is, I use it on my old phone and they can't hear me as well (I need to talk quietly) so would prefer to use my main phone. I can't transfer sims as ones a normal sim the other is a mini (and my main phone is an iPhone which are more difficult to change sims over and I don't have the patience for that)!

So I can still phone them, it's just more difficult, if that makes sense
    Also I know my dad definitely will check the itemised bill- as he used to never, until a few weeks ago when he noticed he was charged more than normal, so he said he is going to start checking it out more (the bill also includes the cost for my phone and sim etc.). Actually it was my fault I went very slightly over my minutes (as I was phoning a landline and didn't realise the free minutes are restricted on them- hence I thought I had enough minutes). Fortunately my dad was okay with it and it was only £10 more, so not too extreme (plus I've never went over before). And also as I don't know they start charging for landlines after a certain amount of time so he was okay. But it just made me more cautious.

Hence I'm thinking it hasn't appeared on the bill as my dad never said anything about phoning 0800 numbers late at night (which would probably look suspicious to him)- unless he's just scanned down to see the cost of everything and not looked properly. Anyways I don't want to take that risk...
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Ach that sounds like a super tough situation to be in with your dad checking everything! I hope either you can find an alternate solution, or it turns out he doesn't check the bills as much! (But he's right to check - Vodafone are always trying to charge me extra too!)
    Thanks for your replies :) yeah it makes sense I guess