Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tips on skin?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I often I wear full body clothing, so top with a high neck and long sleeves, skirt and tights... well this is because I seem to have terrible skin.

I have a lot of scars on my arms from self harming almost 7 years ago now, but I am okay with them. You know they're there now... not much I can do.

Well.......particularly on my shoulders and now its breaching my forearms- I get a lot of little lumps or white head spots or even black heads on my shoulders. I've also noticed when i go to dry my arms, and my chest skin just peels off (remember when you peeled off PVA glue off your hands as a kid, its pretty much like that an no I don't cover myself in PVA XD).

Well doctors tried prescribing things but I am kind of sick of taking pills for everything in the world...

I've tried rubbing my arms red with a rough towel to perhaps get the skin off and my arms feel softer.. but I'd like to know of any techniques or special creams or moisturisers that work.

Because I am feeling pretty ashamed of my body and I dont ever wear anything without sleeves or with a low back on it... and I'd really like too. I am pretty Pale...And when I went to Spain for the first time the sun kinda helped however I felt okay to show it there as no one knew me... but i get too anxious at home. :nervous:

Also its too cold for sleeveless tops

If you know any good techniques I'd love to hear them. Or any brands of moisturiser or cream that works well. or whatever really :)
:yippe:

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Sudocreme can be good for acne - I used to use it on my back and it really helped. You may also find the sun helps with your skin and acne - I have heard there is a link because of the increased vitamin D. So maybe you could get more vitamin D in your diet?

If you are moisturising, make sure you are using a good quality moisturiser that has preferably as few ingredients as possible and very little added oil.
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I'd recommend aveeno as a good moisturiser - it contains only natural ingredients, think its made or barley (or some type of similar grain) and its not greasy!

Personally I use Doublebase gel, which my doctor prescribed as the skin on my hands gets very dry and painful, it works wonders for me as I don't suffer from dry skin as often and as severe as in the past. I get it on prescription but I'm sure you can also get it over the counter. Then again, everyones different and what may work for one person, not for another!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks loads. I'll pick some stuff up next week and will keep posted on the results :)
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Great, keep us updated as to how it goes :)