Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prom dress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't sure where to put this, so please feel free to move it mods :)

So it's my prom soon (okay, 5 months, but still) and I'm allowed to spend £100 on my outfit :yippe:

I don't want anything over knee length, and I'm quite tiny (5ft 2) so it needs to be pretty short on the model! Haha! I'm size 8/10, would prefer something with straps so I can wear a proper bra as my boobs are a DD and I'm not overly comfortable in strapless things :( But I'm not *too* fussed about that.

Any suggestions? :D Suggestions of shoes would be good too, but I can't wear leather so it might be kinda hard!

Thankies :hyper:

Comments

• Options
    Ohh also, any suggestions of cardigans to wear to cover my arms, and some nice tights for my legs :)
  • Options
    How about something like this:

http://www.lipsy.co.uk/store/prom-dresses/lipsy-bust-sequin-prom-dress/product-is-DR06765_041

I'm 5"2 as well and I find Lipsy are pretty short so tend to be just the right length :)
  • Options
    Ooohh thanks :) Just looking through the others on there, this is cute http://www.lipsy.co.uk/store/party-dresses/lipsy-v-i-p-velvet-bow-strapless-prom-dress/product-is-VP00140_002

Went to a prom dress shop in town today, it was like "my big fat gypsy wedding" some of the dresses were insane!
  • Options
    Wow I really love that one! It's really pretty!

I like this too:

http://www.riverisland.com/women/sale/dresses/bright-pink-print-Forever-Unique-prom-dress-625867

I was going to wear that to my works xmas party but I wasn't slim enough at the time!
  • Options
    Check out charity shops. I got a black lace vintage evening gown for £6 that I wore for my prom.

Also it's pretty fun to wear like an ankle length dress or something like that for once, that you'd never normally wear. There aren't many opportunities when you're sixteen that you can wear a proper evening dress or whatever. Also nobody pays any attention to what you wear unless it's mega short or a wedding dress. Or the same as someone else's.
  • Options
    Yeah I bought my sixth form leavers dress off eBay ;) (It was ASOS)
  • Options
    When i had me prom i found some really amazing dresses in monsoon but ya might have to wait till a bit closer to summer for any to be in stockk cos cant see any atm :(
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

Also it's pretty fun to wear like an ankle length dress or something like that for once, that you'd never normally wear. There aren't many opportunities when you're sixteen that you can wear a proper evening dress or whatever. Also nobody pays any attention to what you wear unless it's mega short or a wedding dress. Or the same as someone else's.

It's not just because I'm short that I want a short dress, I have a mega problem with things brushing on my knees so long dresses are a big no.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :) Whitelillies that pink one is lovely!
  • Options
    Dragging up this thread because prom is less than 2 months away!!

I've looked through thousands of dresses but still haven't found my perfect dress.

This is nice: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/petite/petite-navy-embellished-strap-grecian-prom-dress_276269044 and it's petite, so it'd be the right length. Also, covers the scars on my legs.

I'm just not sure how it'd look with a long sleeved shrug over it? And also, my hair is red? Maybe have to dye it back to brown?
  • Options
    http://www.bhs.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=34096&storeId=13077&productId=5756177&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=471150&parent_categoryId=471109&pageSize=40&refinements=category~[471576|471150]&noOfRefinements=1

I had this in the long version for my dads wedding (photos on fb somewhere), it's a lovely colour. It still looks a bit long even on the model though so it might need taking up. They always have some on the rail in the department store that you could try on though
  • Options
    Not sure how it'd look with a shrug, but I think it'd look really nice with red hair :)
  • Options
    I think it will be fine with a shrug. I've always been really worried about people thinking I look silly with a shrug, but usually people are complimentary!

Best thing to do is to take the dress around shops that have shrugs and try a few shapes over it.
  • Options
    Thanks guys :) Ballerina- I like those dresses, but I want something with embellishments on the top bit. Most girls go in huge ballgowns but my mum can't afford that and I don't want to take the piss! Tickets are £35, and then it's another £20 for year book and photos... then transport to get there, hair, makeup, shoes etc.
  • Options
    To save money I just had all my friends round and we did each others makeup, very helpful that some of my friends mums are really good at make up. And hair I just had it done the morning before as a normal cut, then pinned it up myself. Worked pretty well :)
  • Options
    ninaballet wrote: »
    To save money I just had all my friends round and we did each others makeup, very helpful that some of my friends mums are really good at make up. And hair I just had it done the morning before as a normal cut, then pinned it up myself. Worked pretty well :)

I'm good at hair and makeup (well, I like to think so, got an A in my exam for it!) but not sure if it'll be good enough!! To be honest though, I don't have many friends, and no one to go with anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'll be a loner all night and no one will pay attention to how I look!
  • Options
    I'm good at hair and makeup (well, I like to think so, got an A in my exam for it!) but not sure if it'll be good enough!!

It will be good enough! I worried that I'd be on my own at my leavers' ball (school not my finest hour), but I actually had a really good night and a chance to talk to people I'd not really spoken to in the years we'd been studying together and I've stayed mates with some of them.
  • Options
    That makes me feel a bit more optimistic about it thanks Piccolo :) I need to decide what I'm eating as well! It's a 3 course meal to start with, and the teacher who organises it all spoke to the place we're having prom and they said they'd cook me whatever I want (because I'm all awkward and vegan) but I have noooo clue what to have!
  • Options
    Ohh I love that!!
    I'm sort of thinking of getting a long dress though, I'm really self concious at the moment and don't want to be panicking all night. I'm going to have to try on a long dress first though, I've never worn one!
  • Options
    Nude tights are your friend!
  • Options
    Some scars are still visible under them, and I just feel so fat and awful at the moment :/ living in trackies, not sure I'd have the courage to wear a short dress. It is bloody gorgeous though! Maybe I'll keep the label on the long one, take it back after prom and buy that one for future use ;) hahaha
  • Options
    I'm going to have to try on a long dress first though, I've never worn one!

I'd never worn a long dress before my prom (I am also quite small, and all of my actual height is in my torso rather than my legs) so long stuff always seemed a silly idea - but the second I put my full length prom dress on, I fell in love. In fact, my maxi dresses are the love of my life now, it depresses me in winter when I can't wear them. It can be a bit of a challenge, but if you find a bargain (not sure where you live, but if theres a range of charity shops around, they're always a fantastic stop off) and know someone who's semi handy with a needle and thread, its easy enough to turn them up a little if they did turn out to be too long (or depending on how confident you are in them, a pair of pretty heels gives the same outcome sometimes!)

I got my bargain dress from ebay, cost me £20, and I still have it today - I don't wear it (theres noooooo way it'd fit, 8 years have passed) but in its time it served me my prom, and a couple of more formal occasions - biggest bargain ever! Hopefully you'll find that wearing something that you find truly pretty will boost your confidence too - I know me and my friends all felt that way!
  • Options
    http://www.cemelondon.com/product3.php?refpage=cemelondon_dresssearch_all.php?pc_id=37&p=1&ref_name=Evening%20Dresses&pg_id=1109&clicked=1&shopsizestate=0&shopcolorstate=0

My dress which is arriving tomorrooowwwwww!!! So excited. Going to get a sparkly shrug to go over it to make it a bit more exciting, my mum said we can take it to the tailors to get stuff sewn on it if I want, but I'll see how it looks without first. Really hope it fits me.

I've started seeing a guy and he's asked me to go to his schools prom with him (they're allowed to take people because it's an all boys school) which is in 2 weeks so I need to get shoes etc. sorted soon as well!
  • Options
    That dress is absolutely stunning! I'm sure you'll look stunning in it:)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    When it arrives (and if it fits!!) I'll post a photo :)
  • Options
    Beautiful!

You're going to look incredible :') :heart:
  • Options
    That's lovely!
  • Options
    So the dress arrived, and it was far too long and far too heavy :( The material was really weird, like lycra which wasn't nice so today I got this http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_008010817147_-1 and sent the other dress back just in case anyone's interested :razz: It doesn't look as nice in the photo, but it suits me more than the other dress because I'm so terribly small :lol:
This discussion has been closed.